FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening a Rolling Garage Door

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Czyz
Opening a Rolling Garage Door
on Aug 15, 2018 at 7:43:28 pm

Here's something that's been stumping me: I would like to animate a standard rolling home garage door (so, long horizontal planks that rotate back as they reach the top, as they're pulled back by the chain). I have not been able to get the motion quite right as I can't get the entire door to look like it's being pulled in one continuous rise; instead there is a "bump" as each plank fully rotates (see the attached .aep). Also, if you look at the setup from the side, it's clear that the planks are jutting away from the path where the real-world track would sit at the curve. Each plank is linked to the one above, and the top plank is being pulled back by a null. Any tips on how to depict this real world situation correctly in AE?

Thanks in advance!

12646_garage.zip

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: Opening a Rolling Garage Door
on Aug 15, 2018 at 7:48:33 pm

AE probably isn't the best place for a thing like this, but:

The reason the planks are not aligned when on the curve is because the anchor point is what connects to the curve, not the edges.

You need to offset the anchor point's Z axis to align the edges. This will probably fix the "bump" too.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://www.GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Opening a Rolling Garage Door
on Aug 16, 2018 at 4:29:02 pm

animate the whole of it moving...and then animate the folding of the door. in what order you animate: matters

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]