FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying a Shape Path to an Adjustment Layer Mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Hidden
Copying a Shape Path to an Adjustment Layer Mask
on Aug 13, 2018 at 5:38:46 pm

Hi everyone!

I have created an animated rectangle on a shape layer and I want to copy the path of the rectangle to a mask on an adjustment layer. The shape is semi-transparent and I'm trying to create an adjustment layer below to blur the background under the shape. When I copy the rectangle path's keyframes into the adjustment layer, for some reason the rectangle is coming out stretched and out of place. I wouldn't mind moving it into the center, but I don't understand why it's vertically stretched and don't know how to fix this (other than manually moving the points but then it might not be an exact match to the shape)! So... what am I doing wrong? Please see my screenshot - it's hard to see the adjustment layer's mask path because it's dark green but it's there :).

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Copying a Shape Path to an Adjustment Layer Mask
on Aug 13, 2018 at 8:15:58 pm

If I'm not mistaken. Thats a bug that happens when you convert a rectangle to a bezier path. There's a way to correct it (that I can't remember now).

But we don't need to. Just ctrl + alt + C your shape layer and crtl + v it above your adjustment layer. give it full opacity and set the adjustment layer to use it as alpha matte.

It will work even better because any changes you make to the shape will pass through to the blur. (because you copied with properties)

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Kate Hidden
on Aug 14, 2018 at 3:24:21 pm

Hey, thanks so much! I did what you said except that when I copied the shape with properties, the opacity was red and locked, so I had to do a regular copy. But... when I applied a Gaussian blur to the adjustment layer, it just brought out the dark tones of the copied shape instead of blurring the background image below. I also tried applying the effect to the copied shape layer, but that didn't work, either. Maybe I did something wrong there.

What I ended up doing that worked perfectly was duplicating the shape layer and setting the rectangle's opacity to 100, duplicating the background image and using that instead of an adjustment layer, below the copied shape, set to alpha matte, and then applying the blur to the duplicated background image layer.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ☺

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 14, 2018 at 6:04:13 pm

[Kate Hidden] "when I copied the shape with properties, the opacity was red and locked,"
You just had to alt click the property to remove the expression.

[Kate Hidden] "when I applied a Gaussian blur to the adjustment layer, it just brought out the dark tones of the copied shape instead"
You've mistakenly did something, if it brought the darks, either the shape's video toogle was still on or the order of layers was wrong.

[Kate Hidden] " I also tried applying the effect to the copied shape layer, but that didn't work, either."
It would if you'd set it to be an adjustment layer. (theres a toogle for that).

Good thing you solved it even so.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Kate Hidden
on Aug 17, 2018 at 1:05:33 pm

Wow, you have been so helpful. Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]