FORUMS: list search recent posts

Paint brush tool pixelating

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cynthia Larenas
Paint brush tool pixelating
on Aug 8, 2018 at 11:13:09 pm

Hi,

I'm doing a frame by frame animation and have used the paint brush tool to draw onto my footage. The footage I used as reference to paint on top of was quite small so I scaled up the footage. The only problem is now the paint brush strokes are all pixelated, I'm guessing because of the scale up. What I don't understand is why its pixelating if the paint brush tool is meant to be vector. Does anyone know how I can make my animation not look pixelated? I've attached screenshots below.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Paint brush tool pixelating
on Aug 8, 2018 at 11:38:07 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 8, 2018 at 11:40:03 pm

The paintbrush isn't vector -- it paints using pixels. But you CAN use it smoothly by painting on a nested comp, which contains the scaled-up image. You should be good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cynthia Larenas
on Aug 8, 2018 at 11:46:39 pm

Thank you. By nested do you mean precomp? I just precomped my scaled up footage and tried to copy my paint strokes frames onto my precomp but they don't show up. Is this what you mean? I've done days and days of work so would like to find a solution where I don't have to redraw everything again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 9, 2018 at 12:09:33 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 9, 2018 at 12:10:41 am

Sorry, but you've painted yourself into a corner -- so to speak -- by painting on the footage and THEN scaling up.

I hate to say it, but you'll need to start from scratch:
  • Put the reference image in a comp. Scale it up as much as you need. Make sure it's right.
  • Make a second comp. Place the first comp in it.

In the second comp, you can now paint on the nested comp as you would on any other layer.

There's a possibility -- a very slim one -- that you can salvage what you have by copying your existing reference layer and paint work, pasting it into a new comp and scaling it back down. Make a new second comp and nest the comp with the scaled-down work in it. Apply the Detail-Preserving Upscale effect to this nested comp. Tweak the effect settings. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and you're stuck starting over.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cynthia Larenas
on Aug 9, 2018 at 12:25:06 am

Thank you, just tried the Detail Preserving Upscale effect. I think it's going to work. It's not perfect but seeing as the style of the animation is hand drawn with wobbly lines the pixelations have sort of turned into wobbles which I think I can get away with. I'm also going to apply all these other effects on it.

Thanks so much! I'll know for next time how to do it using the method you outlined.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 9, 2018 at 12:29:12 am

While what the paint tool draws is pixels, the path it follow while it paints is a vector based curve. You can't access this path directly like you can a mask, but you can copy the paths from each paint stroke and paste it into a layer with a mask or a shape (pasting on top of a dummy mask is required sometimes) and then scale that layer. The simplest solution is then to stroke those enlarges paths and they will be clean. However, if you have some "english" on the strokes you painted originally that's not going to come through.

What I'm wondering is if you could link the path from your original paint on the small layer to a paint effect on a large layer, and then scale (and link) the path with expressions. If you head over to the expression forum Dan Ebberts and boys might have an answer for you, to save you doing it all again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]