FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding specific/extreme blur

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gus Howard
Adding specific/extreme blur
on Aug 7, 2018 at 10:43:30 pm

Stumbling through for a few shots for a film project. By no means as AE expert. Wondering if anyone could help me.

Is there a way, using AE, to create a blur/stretch/smear similar to the ones in these photos? The existing footage has movement, but not very fast (and no inherent blur). I am trying to take a 4 second clip of a moving face and achieve something like these photos.

I say "blur", but I guess it's more like the lingering, stretched image that I am going for. Almost like the movement causes a "smear" as it goes. (or maybe that is just another way of saying "extreme blur").

Any takers? Sincerest thanks, in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Adding specific/extreme blur
on Aug 7, 2018 at 11:18:41 pm

If those are still images, you can best believe they were done in Photoshop and not in After Effects.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gus Howard
on Aug 7, 2018 at 11:23:31 pm

Probably right. But is there a way to achieve something similar with AE?

Return to posts index

Tim Drage
on Aug 9, 2018 at 11:48:53 am

They both look more like actual analog photos with real motion blur than anything photoshopped.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 7, 2018 at 11:32:16 pm

That's funny. I was thinking "Jacobs ladder" as I was reading the post and then saw the image.
Unfortunately there is no Force motion blur like there is in Flame. But there are other ways.

Compound blur takes a grayscale image and blurs the underlying image by the amount specified by the grayscale map. This way the entire image need not blur just parts of it and by different amounts.

Echo will take past frames and blend them together - combine that with a density mask and you have have different parts of the image that have more echos than others.

Directional Blur (or Motion blur depending on the version of AE you have) can smear the image on specific angles - again, combined with soft edge masks you can get larger smears in only parts of the image.

You can use Particular to emit particles from different parts of the image and the image can be applied back to those particles - get enough of the right type of particles and it can produce some really cool smeary effects.

If you are animating things you can increase the default motion blur to crazy levels (Comp settings, advanced tab)

You can generate a motion blur data element and then throw that at something like RealSmart Motion blur and it will smear the image based on the element (its a color element with R,G,B denoting different directions of blur - in 3D no less!)

Return to posts index

Gus Howard
on Aug 7, 2018 at 11:43:54 pm

Thanks, Steve. Will try some of these out tonight

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Aug 8, 2018 at 2:22:03 am
Last Edited By Andrew Somers on Aug 8, 2018 at 3:14:57 am

Hi Gus, here ae a couple ideas:

1) Get and use the Real Smart Motion Blur plug in - it allows for creating vector maps to control the amount of blur in a particular area, among other things, but can also over-accentuate the blur of a moving object.

2) Try a combination of directional blur on an adjustment layer with feathered masks to hold out areas you want less or no blur on.

3) Use the built-in motion blur as I describe in THIS ARTICLE on how to use AE to create traditional optical printer aerial imaging effects.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Gus Howard
on Aug 8, 2018 at 4:13:35 am

Thank you, Andrew!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 8, 2018 at 4:35:04 am

And just when I was finally getting over my slit scan nightmares from the optical days. Thanks Andrew!!! I can hear the stepper motors again! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Aug 8, 2018 at 5:13:08 am

... don't forget to print all the wedges ... LOL

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 9, 2018 at 10:44:11 pm

Wedges, smedges! Just print everything for 1 second at f8!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]