Camera not solving on precomps.
I've got an issue with the 3D camera tracker. For some reason, whenever I add my footage to a precomp the camera tracker gets stuck on solving. Sometimes this will also lead to the UI locking up leaving me with no option but to shot AE and restart but not always - most of the time it just leaves me with the Orange bar with the "Solving Camera" overlay.
I'm confident it isn't the footage as I can track it fine outside of a precomp but I'd like to precomp for masking with shape layers (tracking to nulls to save time rather than using masks).
Just to make sure it's not the mattes causing the issue I tried just pre-comping the footage as it is with no other modifications and still get the same issue. I've also just tried updating to the latest version and updated GPU drivers but alas I still have the same issue. Finally I tried resetting my prefs as well but again still no joy.
Anyone else had experience of this issue in the past and know of a fix? My backup plan is to render pre-masked clips and then add them back in to do the camera solve without pre-comping but that's going to cost me a few hours so if I can find a better way that would be awesome (plus I'd just like to solve it anyway).
Here's my specs just in case this would be a factor with some new feature I'm not aware of:
Project is 1920x1080 set to 8bit. Footage is a mix of camera formats and PNG sequences although I've tried different formats and it doesn't seem to be exclusive to a particular codec/wrapper.
Windows 10 Pro (Build 17134)
2x980M (not in SLI)
After Effects Version 15.1.2 (Build 69)
256GB M.2 SSD for OS and AE
1Tb HDD for docs and storage
256GB SSD for cache / scratchdisks
**Current project is on 2TB external HDD
Cheers all ☺
First, thank you for sharing information! A lot of people just ask the question without giving specs (like version of AE) and it makes diagnosing much more difficult! ☺
That said, I'm not sure what the issue is on your system. That sounds like it should work without an issue.
Just out of curiosity, does it exhibit the same problem if that footage is on one of the internal SSD drives? I know it shouldn't be any different, but weirder things have happened. ;)
- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
[Michael Szalapski] "First, thank you for sharing information! A lot of people just ask the question without giving specs (like version of AE) and it makes diagnosing much more difficult! ☺"
Cheers dude - totally agree ☺
Yeah I gave it a shot on a different drive as well but still to no avail.
One thing that has transpired since while trying to work it out is I've tried some of the same footage in a brand new project file and I didn't have the same issue so it looks like something causing a bug in my project. I've had this happen on a few projects now but it's not something that happens every time but when it does strike it ends up sticking around.
Now I have a thread to pull on I'm going to try and copy everything into a new project file and see if that fixes it when I take a break and if it still persists I'm going to go through and make sure I don't have any scripts running that might be causing the problem (it's a huge project that was handed over to me from another artist so I'll have to do some digging).
Cheers for your response dude, I'll report back in a bet when I've managed to find out more :)