FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exported files are HUGE!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sonny Liston
Exported files are HUGE!
on Aug 4, 2018 at 11:00:50 pm

When I moved to CS65 (from 5.5) Adobe suddenly had this "render queue". When I export video file for YouTube, instead of 500 MB file sizes, I'm getting 15 GB file sizes! Here's some of the settings I have been using....
File > Export > Add to Render Queue
Render settings: Current settings
Output module: Format: Quick Time
QuickTime Options: Format Options: Video Codec: H.264

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exported files are HUGE!
on Aug 5, 2018 at 1:27:27 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 5, 2018 at 7:52:20 pm

Sorry champ, but we still don't have enough info. No frame rate, dimensions or duration. Without that, we're clueless -- it could be just right.

So what did you think of Ali?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Aug 6, 2018 at 3:51:41 pm

I would recommend against using H.264 in a QuickTime wrapper. It's unsupported and has some buggy issues sometimes.

That said, you need to adjust your bitrate in whatever format you're using to export to affect the size of the resulting files.

The better workflow is to render an intermediate file (something like DNxHD, Cineform, or even QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec) out of After Effects and then use the Adobe Media Encoder to make an MP4. You get a lot more control that way.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 6, 2018 at 4:01:33 pm
Last Edited By Steve Bentley on Aug 6, 2018 at 4:12:47 pm

I'm wondering about the OP's experience level. The render cue has been there since.... well since I can't remember when; maybe as far back as COSA.
And the cue has nothing to do with render size. In fact its where you set render size for final output (Full size, half of comp size, custom etc). Perhaps the OP is just letting the standard settings ride without changing them and with the new install of CS6, his copy of CS5.5 went back to the default of Full size (of whatever his comp is) and full quality, when he had been rendering everything at 1/4 rez maybe?.
Compressing H264 out of AE is not the best pipeline. Sure it makes smaller files than uncompressed but you don't get two pass compression which can drastically improve the quality and shrink the size of the final file for the web.
I think thats probably what Michael meant instead of "H264 is buggy as a QT format". H264 in a QT wrapper kind of built the video experience on the internet since Sorenson. So, compressed correctly, H264 QT is just dandy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]