FORUMS: list search recent posts

seeking tutorials on compositing two shots together

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reid Kimball
seeking tutorials on compositing two shots together
on Aug 4, 2018 at 10:34:47 pm

Hello,

I have some footage where I need to match camera moves (I am not sure if that's the correct term) from about 12 different shots and stitch them together so it looks it's all the same shot.

For example, the final shot is supposed to look like the camera is filming from the center of a large table and it pans from right to left showing each person sitting around the table. Shot A starts the pan from right to left, Shot B is a second panning right to left shot.

I tried searching for tutorials on how to stitch shots together, but I don't think I know the terminology enough to have the search results give me back relevant links. How can I find the relevant tutorials, or do you have links to one you can share?

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Greg Gesch
Re: seeking tutorials on compositing two shots together
on Aug 5, 2018 at 1:13:47 am

Hi Reid. I don't know that you will have any luck trying to find a tutorial for that, though if somebody does know one I'm sure they will chime in. The problem is obviously matching the shots in every detail - that's a huge ask. The only thing I might suggest is looking for "morphing" tutorials if you have footage which matches really closely at the cuts. Good luck with it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 5, 2018 at 1:33:08 am

Sorry, but you're seeking a probably-impossible solution to a dumb-ass mistake made even before the cameras started rolling... and now you'll have to live with that mistake or reshoot.

Think of it as a learning experience.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Aug 5, 2018 at 12:52:17 pm

Are the original shots static? Can you show an example of two adjacent shots that you need to match up?

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Reid Kimball
on Aug 5, 2018 at 4:13:13 pm

Unfortunately, I signed an NDA and can't share the footage. No worries, I told the client the work is out of my skill range.

Return to posts index

Reid Kimball
on Aug 5, 2018 at 4:12:04 pm

For anyone following, I decided that this project was out of my skill range and told the client I was not the right person for the job. I appreciate everyone for trying to help. I am not a VFX compositor and this project has given me an even greater appreciation for the work you do. It's incredibly technical and creative.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 5, 2018 at 7:51:10 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 5, 2018 at 9:07:12 pm

Sorry to be harsh earlier, but you really needed to think this out more thoroughly with someone who was experienced in shooting. You would have avoided this, "it ought to work" moment.

I'm going to guess that since there were 12 shots involved, this was shot with 12 people talking at a circular table -- at one o'clock, two o'clock, three o'clock.... etc. And it was shot in real-time. Because people move, they may not have been framed up perfectly. And the framing on the shots would have been different from camera to camera. And there may be gaps from camera to camera. And there are people in the foreground occluding the teople who need to be seen in the background. And most importantly, there is a Marketing Weasel Babe who has NO CLUE what she's doing who demands to do what she wants.

How am I doing so far?

Long story short -- it can not be done economically. It may be able to be done eventually, but not on a small budget. It would be tough to be done on Harry Potter movies. Or the Lord of the Rings. Does your client have that kind of budget?

I kinda doubt it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]