FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to reach this specific type of color?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felipe Prado
How to reach this specific type of color?
on Aug 2, 2018 at 7:36:06 pm

Hey Guys!

So here is the FX I am trying to replicate:

Right now I am using Particular to create such effect, with big size particles and lowering it's opacity.

But the thing is, I never know how I can reach such color, it is very light in the center and the it goes all the way to the it's exterior fading out into a blue, like is there any video that could explain that to me or you guys have any directions on how I can study such thing?

Like where should I start? What color should I pick? Should I start on dark colors or light colors? What blend modes should I use?

I am just really clueless I tried a lot of stuff out without success.. maybe you guys could point me out into books about this or courses? Like what theory I am missing here so I can reproduce such thing?

I am self taught everything, and I learned everything from the internet, so my knowledge has a bunch of holes because I never studied this in a linear way.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: How to reach this specific type of color?
on Aug 3, 2018 at 7:55:59 am

Video Copilot color vibrance plugin might be the easiest way to get there.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Aug 3, 2018 at 1:14:39 pm

The first thing I recommend is to set your project to 32 bit and linearize the colorspace. When working in linear mode, you can make things brighter than 100% white, which would clip in a gamma encoded space like Rec709. In linear those overbrights and their detail are maintained — if you bring them back down with another Levels effect, you'll see the detail is not lost.

Blending light in scene-linear space works like it does in the real world. Instead of adjusting opacity, you can use ADD transfer mode to add layers together, the light values of each layers adding together like real light does. You'll find using ADD to place the glowing smoke onto an image gets you toward your goal.

The LEVELS effect will act a little differently than you're used to — you can make things brighter than white as you ADD layers together and then in an adjustment layer another Levels to bring everything back down and still retain detail.

Also, if you make the smoke a dark blue, when you use Levels to make it brighter, it will end up glowing white as it gets bright. Put a Gaussian Blur on it to smooth it into a plasma look. Adjust the gamma of the individual channels with Levels or Curves to get some interesting color shifts between dark and bright.

A possible layer setup might be:

Layer 1: Adjustment layer with LEVELS to adjust the overall output.

Layer 2: Particular layer. After the Particular plug-in, put the LEVELS effect then the BLUR effect. Set this layer to ADD transfer mode. Adjusting the gamma of the individual RGB channels, as well as their in/out levels can create some interesting color shifts based on the brightness of each channel. You can take this idea even farther using the CURVES effect.

Layer 3: This is the footage you are comping the smoke on to. Make sure it's color profile is set/interpreted properly so that AE color management converts it to the linearized working space. You may want to have a Levels control here too.

Remember that in linear space, especially when using ADD, you have a much greater range of adjustment than a gamma encoded space. You might spend time getting the two lower layers comped together nicely only to realize they are overall too bright — never fear, you can leave those adjustments alone, and just use an adjustment layer to bring everything back down.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Aug 3, 2018 at 8:49:10 pm

You can also achieve this out of the box with Saber - videoCopilots free plug in. No particular needed. But there is nothing wrong with Particular for this use either. You can even do it just with fractal noise.

As for the glowy goodness, (and adding to what Andrew said), we'll often start with multiple copies of the effect Screen'd on top of the original, just to see how it looks. Often you have to crush those Screen's layers or the brightness builds up too much. You can also add a Gaussian blur to the extra copies along side the Level's crush (Levels first please) and duplicate those layers a few times to get the deep color and glow to build up.

Return to posts index

Felipe Prado
on Aug 4, 2018 at 8:10:59 pm

Hey Andrew!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such in-depth post.

I will try the steps you suggested and post soon what I've manage to do!

Could you please explain a little bit further what is the difference between 8bpc, 16bpc and 32bpc? And what is that relation to the Gamma Encoded Space Rec709?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]