FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert comps from 24 / 29.97 fps into 60 fps without changing layer start and end points

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shahid Raza
Convert comps from 24 / 29.97 fps into 60 fps without changing layer start and end points
on Aug 2, 2018 at 11:10:23 am
Last Edited By Shahid Raza on Aug 2, 2018 at 11:11:19 am

I have a couple of mixed frame rates in my comps:

Main comp: 29.97 fps
Main comp > precomps: 29.97 fps
Main comp > precomps > precomps: 24 fps

I'd like to change all of these comps / precomps to 60 fps so I can render at 1080p60 instead of 1080p30 for smoother animations.

Now the problem I'm having is with frame durations and start/end positions in time with layers inside the time-remapped precomps (I think it's just these as far as I can see).

I'm not trying to slow footage down or anything as I don't have actual video clips, these are just precomps of static graphics.

Here's the clip at 29.97fps and the layers within it are stacked like so:

Here's the same clip with change in frame rate to 60 fps:

If you look at the layers start and end points, they've shifted along and the layer that started at frame 3 is now off the screen.

How can I stop the layer start and end points to remain untouched? I've got 100 odd layers to go through like this.

Is there a method via a script? Or will I just have to update the frame duration to 6 instead of 3 and update my expressions to target 0, 2 and 4 instead of 0, 1 and 2 frames for the time-remapping?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Convert comps from 24 / 29.97 fps into 60 fps without changing layer start and end points
on Aug 2, 2018 at 3:18:55 pm

Your logic is faulty. If you turn 29.97 fps into 23.976 fps and then turn it into 59.94 fps, the motion will NOT be smoother.

Since you don't have video in the project, just do all of your animation at 59.94 fps.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Convert comps from 24 / 29.97 fps into 60 fps without changing layer start and end points
on Aug 2, 2018 at 3:49:03 pm

If you next your compositions in a 60 fps comp (and make sure they aren't set to preserve the frame rate of nested comps), all your timing will be the same, but at a higher frame rate.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 2, 2018 at 5:09:45 pm

[Shahid Raza] "I'd like to change all of these comps / precomps to 60 fps so I can render at 1080p60 instead of 1080p30 for smoother animations."

You could also change the render settings to render at a different frame rate than the native comp frame rate, like in this image:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]