FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extrude video in 3D space?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Svyatoslav Nikitin
Extrude video in 3D space?
on Aug 2, 2018 at 10:40:24 am

Sorry not sure which category to start this in...

I've got a video layer that has a waveform effect linked to audio (the louder the audio the higher the waveforms).

I'm looking to comp these into 3D space but everytime I rotate it to the side it just becomes flat like a pancake (I have tried bending the layer with Ray-trace 3D etc but still looks thin).

I know there's a way to extrude shapes and text - but what about a video (something that is changing and moving throughout).

I basically just want to thicken the waveform on the Z axis so when I turn it to the side it has some fatness to it.

Any thoughts/plugins/suggestions?

3D modelling software is intimidating so I'm hoping I can do it in AE..

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Extrude video in 3D space?
on Aug 2, 2018 at 3:50:27 pm

There is no way to do what you're asking in AE. HOWEVER, you can cheat it. Just make a bunch of duplicates and offset them a pixel or two in z-space. It'll have approximately the same effect as being 3d as long as you don't view them fully on the side. It's a clever little trick. ☺

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Aug 2, 2018 at 5:33:42 pm

At least Trapcode Form or Mir and Mettle Freeform Pro or Shape Shifter can do things of that nature. Each will have a slightly different look, but all of them can add 3D offset based on image luminance. None of them are a click-of-a-button fast solutions -- there's a definite learning curve involved -- but if you want to proceed that way, I would opt to go with Form. It will turn the image into particles, but that's already pretty much the look you have.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Svyatoslav Nikitin
on Aug 4, 2018 at 1:20:39 pm

Thanks guys ☺ ☺ Appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]