FORUMS: list search recent posts

My Lossless .mov file lacks a color profile...?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Villarreal
My Lossless .mov file lacks a color profile...?
on Jul 27, 2018 at 4:01:56 am
Last Edited By Thomas Villarreal on Jul 27, 2018 at 4:11:40 am

When export an .mov from AE and re-import the .mov there is no embedded profile.

I export/render my project as a lossless animation mov (the main project settings are in the sRGB color space and the output module says it will use an output profile of sRGB)

When I open the rendered .mov in After Effects and right click INTERPRET FOOTAGE > Color Management it says there is no embedded profile in the mov so I have to select sRGB manually.

Why doesnt the .mov have the appropriate output color space of sRGB so AE can detect it automatically?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: My Lossless .mov file lacks a color profile...?
on Jul 31, 2018 at 2:57:29 am

media encoder has an embed option you have to select as well.

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: My Lossless .mov file lacks a color profile...?
on Jul 31, 2018 at 8:39:34 am
Last Edited By Andrew Somers on Jul 31, 2018 at 8:41:34 am

It is specifically because you cannot embed a color profile into a quicktime mov using the After Effects output module. Note that Quicktime DOES support embedded profiles, just that most versions of AE do not for that specific container type. (not sure about the newest versions if they ever addressed this).

Notice how the word "embed" is greyed out:

THAT SAID:

Quicktime and in fact most forms of video are broadcast with NO color management. Instead, there are sets of standards such as Rec709, (which defines camera/source gamma) and Rec1886 (which defines display gamma). The idea being that content then plays correctly on devices that are compliant to the standard without the need for conversion profiles or LUTs to be applied.

As for defining your imported video as sRGB - if you always want to import video as sRGB if there is no embedded profile, you can alter the After Effects import preferences in the "Interpretation rules.txt" file:

/Volumes/Boot Drive/Users/User Name/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/VersionNum/Interpretation Rules.txt

It's a human readable file and editable with a text editor (keep it plain text, never RTML). It has instructions in the file and is fairly self explanatory.

Andrew Somers
VFX & Title Supervisor
http://GeneralTitles.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]