FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smooth fall-off audio spectrum

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yanda Satria
Smooth fall-off audio spectrum
on Jul 26, 2018 at 10:39:38 am
Last Edited By Yanda Satria on Jul 26, 2018 at 2:20:12 pm

hi, i know there are several post about this topics here and on the internet but this is not exactly what's already been asked

this is what i wanted to achieve :

or this : https://www.videoblocks.com/video/music-and-sound-equalizer-hsne3d5iiqat13l...

and this : https://videohive.net/item/vj-equalizer-music-spectrum/12851269

the little bar thingy and it's reacting to spectrum bar like the spectrum is punching it and has smooth fall off...

been tinkering for a day and still confused...

so, i wonder if anyone know how to achieve that...thank you very much... ☺

edit : it's weird that not even videohive have that kind of after effects projects template...i'm starting to wonder if it's not done in after effects...

ps. sorry for my bad english

"We will either find a way, or make one".
-Hannibal Barca-

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Smooth fall-off audio spectrum
on Aug 2, 2018 at 1:16:45 am

You could do that in AE with expressions if you separated the audio into separate frequencies for each bar.

Or use Sound Keys from Red Giant to do it without having to mess with the sound file.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Yanda Satria
on Aug 2, 2018 at 3:22:42 am

i have soundkeys, i am guessing the setting would be to exponential, that's all i know...

other than that, i'm really blind...i know how audio spectrum and soundkeys works...but not for that little bar thing...

up until now, still haven't found a tutorial or any project template even close to that...

the closest way i got is to use a spectrum software, or even windows media player visualization bars, capture it with OBS or something, then tweak it in AE...but that's just doesn't seems right...

desperately need to know how exactly to do that in AE... :'(

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Aug 2, 2018 at 6:23:39 pm

Sound Keys can theoretically do this, but there are a few problems that make it somewhat impractical. The first one is that you only get three output values, and 32 spectrum bars, so for 32 spectrum lines you'll need 11 copies of Sound Keys. Essentially, you select each individual bar for range, set the falloff to exponential and the suitable fall-off time. You get three bars worth of output from one copy of Sound Keys and then make a new copy, and move the range selection areas to the next three bars, etc. Then when you have outputs for all 32 bars, you can control the y positions of 32 layers that look like the horizontal top bars of each spectrum bar. You may need to repeat the process for the main spectrum bars except without the exponential fall-off. If it is a one-time project and you're desperate, that's one way to skin this cat. Furthermore, if you want anything else than 32 bars, you'll have to interpolate the in-between values from the closest two bars.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Yanda Satria
on Aug 2, 2018 at 7:21:22 pm

thank you

wonder how heavy the project would be if i use 11 soundkeys, and that is for 32 bars, which that video is clearly more than that...

and one more problem, i think that little bar is not exactly an equalizer, more like, each tip of the equalizer bar is pushing it, then have smooth fall,..

if you look at windows media player equalizer bar, that is the exact same as this..

with soundkeys, the bar will goes up as it's reacting to the audio waves range. the wave kicks in, the bar will goes up, they are not waiting for the actual bar to reach and push them...

if you look at the sample from videohive, the little bar fall in a different way, they fall in grid, but in the same principal as the others...

===============

edit :

ok i tried that, just using 1 little bar, and reacting to 1 bar...

i succeed, by creating a shape layer for the little bar, put the position set it to react to 1 bar and exponential etc.

but then like you said, i'm gonna need 11 soundkeys, and if i want to make the little bar glowing each time the bar hits it, then im gonna need 22 soundkeys....and that is for 32 bars, with no way to increase it...and it's still doesn't explain the little bar to fall off in grid...

wether soundkeys is involved or not, i still believe that was regular audio spectrum, perhaps with some expression, i also remember seeing somewhere, the same style, but that the little bar is a dot, the exact same dots the audio spectrum produce...

ps. it's not a one time project, its for a continous project, i am making a visualizer display, if only i can figure out how to do this, the rest and improvement should be easy... ☹

thanks again, i'll keep digging... :)

-Hannibal Barca-

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Aug 3, 2018 at 1:33:22 pm

Here's a basic logic that would get you there, but it will require good expression writing to get it functioning at a reasonable speed:

1) Make an audio spectrum layer that has plenty of sample points, something like 500 with digital display, spanning the screen, A and B direction, fully white.

2) Fast blur it along the vertical axis by about half the comp height.

3) Make a solid composite onto black background.

4) Make a shape layer with a rectangle of a given fraction of the width of the audio spectrum effect. For instance 1/50th if you want to use 50 bars.

5) With a sampleImage() expression, sample the horizontal location of the bar from the baseline position of the blurred audiospectrum layer. Use this value (R channel for instance) to drive the height of the shape, as well as the vertical position (by half of height). Now you have one basic, instant-response spectrum bar.

6) Make another shape, this for the delayed top line of the bar

7) Make a loop that looks backwards a given number of frames (fall-off time) to find if there was a point where the value was higher and use that MINUS a multiple of the time that has intervened for fall-off effect. Use the max value you find in that range.

8) Apply this to the vertical position of the top bar. Now you have one top bar with delayed fall-off (linear). (To make it exponential, you need an exponential time calculation instead of linear)

Duplicate 50 times and move into desired positions.

This basic idea can be significantly optimized, but that's about as much as I can do on a hobby basis.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Yanda Satria
on Aug 10, 2018 at 5:53:42 am

still don't get it, still haven't found a a tutorial or project sample...

i decide to go with soundkeys and create each separate little bar...

thanks for the respond guys...

-Hannibal Barca-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]