FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving Anchor Point With Pan Behind And Using Values To Change Poisition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Collings
Moving Anchor Point With Pan Behind And Using Values To Change Poisition
on Jul 22, 2018 at 6:44:04 pm

First off, sorry if that title sounds a bit off, I was having a hard time thinking of a way to put this without putting a paragraph as the title.

Here's the problem. I wanted some text to rotate around a specific spot on the z axis (It's in a circle, sort of like the writing on a tire), so I moved the image with the text to the spot I wanted and moved the anchor point with the pan behind tool, wanted to get the anchor point in the exact point it needed to be by editing the values a bit by bit till it matched up, but whenever I changed the value for the anchor point via the values in the time line or by right clicking>transform>anchor point while using pan behind, it just moved the entire layer.

How do I get the anchor points values and pan behind to work together?

And this isn't a issue now, I just want to know what to do for next time. I moved the anchor point pixel by pixel till it was right by hand.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Moving Anchor Point With Pan Behind And Using Values To Change Poisition
on Jul 23, 2018 at 4:08:53 pm

I'm not sure I understand the problem By using the pan behind tool you are moving the anchor point. Usually after you have done that, you move or rotate the object's position. Then the object will rotate with the new anchor point at the center.
What might be happening is that if you have a position or rotation keyframe already set and then you move the anchor point with the pan behind tool, you can get what can appear to be odd positioning effects.

If you move the anchor point with the values in the anchor point attributes, the object moves so that the anchor point stays in the original position relative to your comp. In other words the values of the position don't change, why should they, you only changed the anchor point values.
But, when you move the anchor point with the pan behind tool, a little compensation goes on in the background. AE offsets the position values by the same amount so that nothing moves and you don't have to reposition your footage. (you can do this by hand too using both position and anchor point values - the pan behind is just a single function to what is a dual operation). The problem is if you already have keyframes for position, set to the values before the pan behind compensation, now you will have new values keyframed where you used the pan behind tool and the object will now move over time and it will move over time around its anchor point.

A way around all this is to make the text circle a child of a null or another layer. Then you can move or rotate the child independently of the parent. You can have the parent look after one attribute (rotation say) and have the child do position. Or you can have the parent look after X position and the child look after Y. This is a great solution when have already animated something but now need it to have a different "center" or shift to a different position or scale.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]