FORUMS: list search recent posts

Solid layer mask feather has hard edge but not images

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Hardy
Solid layer mask feather has hard edge but not images
on Jul 21, 2018 at 12:13:12 am
Last Edited By Rob Hardy on Jul 21, 2018 at 12:28:33 am

This is a weird one. Just started using After Effects CC2018 and have this issue.

Mask feather works fine on images but on solid layers, it gives a hard edge at the inside or outside of the feather area. I tried to do a search online for a solution but didn't find anyone with the same problem. I'm sure it's something dumb, but any help would be really appreciated.

example:
https://imgur.com/gallery/syplIKe

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Solid layer mask feather has hard edge but not images
on Jul 21, 2018 at 12:36:58 am

You have to make sure the mask edge is at least the width of the feather inside the edge of the solid. Thinking about it the other way: The edge of the solid must extend past the feathered area (the feather area value is in pixels and is halfway on either side of the mask line - a 100 unit feather extends 50 pixels either side of the mask line)

Return to posts index

Rob Hardy
on Jul 21, 2018 at 12:43:31 am

I get that, but if you look, the mask feathers out then stops hard for no reason. I've done it on various size mask and it doesn't matter.

In this case, it's a 1920x1080 image and solid. I put this mask on it and gave it a 100 feather. No reason at all it should look like this, never had this type of problem in previous versions of after effects.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 21, 2018 at 12:55:11 am

I couldn't see the image initially but now I can. Sorry about the obvious, but you never know skill level of the OP.
Do you have any blend functions on that layer? Things like SCREEN and MULTIPLY don't comp properly over the base comp background. They need a layer down there to do the math with.

What bit depth are you at? Long feathers often have artifacts or banding at 8bit and it can look like an edge.

Is the layer with the mask scaled? You can often be fighting a large feather on large solid that's been scaled down. A 1000 pixel feather might not be big enough even then.
Try making another solid the size of the comp and putting the mask on it, feather it and then pass the original through the new masked layer with a track matte set to alpha - does that fix it?

Return to posts index

Rob Hardy
on Jul 21, 2018 at 1:22:25 am

No worries, I get what you mean about not knowing skill level. I've got years of experience and this one has me feeling like an idiot.

No blend functions, no effects, no resizing or anything. Comp size solid with mask at a reasonable number. 8, 16 or 32 bit....same thing.

Here's the crazy thing, doing some messing around, it literally only happens if the solid is set to pure black. If I put even the smallest amount of lightness in it (so it's basically 99.9% black), it fixes it and goes to the normal way you'd expect a feather to work.

Any idea what would be causing that??

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 21, 2018 at 2:31:23 am

Could it simply be the way your screen is displaying this? Your screen is probably 8 bit so you are missing all the 16 bit goodness that's truly in the file. The screen's toe and shoulder of its LUT may be wonky or the screen could have it's black levels not set correctly.
It could also be color management in AE. (have we covered that yet in the thread?)
I'm not seeing huge issues with the roll off and that's even after its been jpg'd.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 21, 2018 at 4:49:12 am

May I ask if you have recently updated AE? I for one do not trust the most recent version. In my mind, it's a piece of dog do-do.

I happen to work for the company owning the most TV stations on Planet Earth. The Home Office is yet to approve CC2018 for use on company machines.

I, for one, am happy this is so. I DO NOT TRUST AE CC 2018. It's a train wreck.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 21, 2018 at 5:03:06 am

David is correct. With one caveat. AE 2018 with any rev higher than 15.03 has many many problems and omissions that happened without warning.
However, after installing that version, we immediately reverted to 2018 R15.03 (or 15.00) - while still a little buggy it's production stable and still has the codecs you are used to.
There are differences that you may need or want but you must balance that with nerve fraying issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]