FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to prevent gradients from shifting in animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reid Kimball
How to prevent gradients from shifting in animation
on Jul 20, 2018 at 8:34:17 pm

Hello,

I have several shape layers with gradient overlay layer styles applied to each. When I animate each shape layer to move, their gradients are shifting around a bit, which I do not want. Is there a way to prevent that from happening within After Effects?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: How to prevent gradients from shifting in animation
on Jul 20, 2018 at 10:18:51 pm
Last Edited By Steve Bentley on Jul 20, 2018 at 10:21:21 pm

When you say "shifting", do you mean the colors are interacting oddly? or the position of the grad color "nodes" is changing position relative to the shape layer?

If the former, make sure your comp is a high enough bit depth so that when the subtle variations combine with other layers' grads there is in fact a color they can map to in that larger color space, otherwise banding can occur.

If the latter, are you sure you are moving the whole layer and not just the mask? (assuming some of the layers might be solids and not shape layers) With all the layers you have going you might not notice that you had . The "shape" would move but the grad would stay where it was, because the layer itself isn't moving. If they are all true shape layers I don't think this would be the problem.
Also check the "align with layer" button in the gradient parameters. With it "off" the layer can move independent of the gradient's position.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]