FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pr & AE: Stabilize and Interpret footage Order - Please Advise!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jun Tang
Pr & AE: Stabilize and Interpret footage Order - Please Advise!
on Jul 19, 2018 at 6:00:56 pm

Hi there,

Is there an ideal order to working with footage we'll interpret and apply stabilization (Mercali, Warp stabilizer)?

For example, I mainly film architecture and real estate properties. So I film in 60p footage that I interpret to 24p for the slow motion effect. However I recently film some footage from a helicopter and it was way too shaky even in slow motion.

I mainly import all footage into Premiere pro first, however when I apply any stabilization (I send it to AE).

Here are the options I was thinking about? Not sure if it matters and/or if there are any other ideal options.

A) Import 60p into Premiere. Interpret to 24p. Send it to After Effects and use Mercali to stablize the footage, and send it back to Premiere.

B) Import 60p into Premiere. Immediately send to After Effects to be stabilized. Send it back to Premiere and then Interpret the footage to 24p? (if that's possible).

C) Open to any suggestions....

Curious if it's better to stabilize the footage in the original frame rate or the interpret frame rate.

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Pr & AE: Stabilize and Interpret footage Order - Please Advise!
on Jul 19, 2018 at 6:32:36 pm

Try it both ways--it won't cost you that much more time. Stabilize the footage in a 60p sequence, render out the result, then interpret the rendered file. Then do a version where you interpret, then stabilize. If the camera shake is slow enough in the interpreted sequence, it may not be detected by the stabilization software as well as it might at full speed, but then, it may not need as much stabilization in order to look acceptable after it's interpreted. Without seeing your footage, there's really no good way to tell--let us know what you find!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Pr & AE: Stabilize and Interpret footage Order - Please Advise!
on Jul 22, 2018 at 2:50:21 am

if project is same fps as footage, it doesn't matter, but if they are different numbers, the engine won't see all the frames
and stabilizing will suffer.

for example:
if you slow it down, the whole frames will have duplicate information and tracking will take longer, if you speed it up, it will lose quality tracking. best to keep 1:1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]