FORUMS: list search recent posts

How best make shattering glass transition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Clasman
How best make shattering glass transition?
on Jul 18, 2018 at 2:03:05 pm

I want to make a dramatic transition between two clips. I want the first clip to crack`, like a broken mirror, and then shatter, lots of pieces falling apart. When this first clip shatters, the subsequent clip will then emerge behind the shattered pieces.

I'm having problems achieving this. Could use some pointers in the right direction.

I got footage of a glass pane cracking and shattering. I got this both as footage and as alpha channel. I know how to apply the alpha via luma matte, but this will only create a blank pane of glass shattering. I need the previous clip to shatter, like the glass pane does.

I'm thinking I need to somehow superimpose the first clip onto the combination of alpha and glass footage, so that the first clip will shatter with the broken glass clip. But my second thought, is I may be approaching this in a really impractical way? Maybe I need a different type of transition clip, or a different method to achieve this rather than superimposing the first clip onto a 'in the middle' clip that will act as a transition.

Anyway, I can't seem to superimpose the first clip onto the broken glass clip to make the first clip appears to shatter. No matter how I try to blend things, it just doesn't look right.

Thankful for some kind pointers in the right direction

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: How best make shattering glass transition?
on Jul 18, 2018 at 3:27:54 pm

Well...you could just use the shatter effect on the footage at the same time the footage of glass is being shattered.. OR you could even try using the luma matte of the shatter in the displacement map. and then set the displacement at llike 100. this doesnt actually do much, but it kinda works...Or if you have element 3d you could definitely do this using voronoi shatter..but it takes some practice to make it look good

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: How best make shattering glass transition?
on Jul 18, 2018 at 4:02:55 pm

...Just use the built-in effects. There's one called Shatter--it's been in After Effects since version, I don't know, 5 or 6, back in the late '90s. It does exactly what you want to do. There are tutorials on it all over the internet. Just Google "After Effects Shatter Tutorial."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]