FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fail to change color of layer Emitter in Trapcode Particular

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon Lee
Fail to change color of layer Emitter in Trapcode Particular
on Jul 16, 2018 at 1:48:30 pm

Hi there,

I'm using layer Emitter in Trapcode particular. The problem is when I relink the Layer to another image, the color of the particles won't update. The position and the scale will update. Did I forget to unlink something?

Here is the image: I already replace the blue bar image with a red one, but the color of the particular won't change at all.

here is the file:
12545_layeremittercolorchange.aep.zip

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Fail to change color of layer Emitter in Trapcode Particular
on Jul 16, 2018 at 6:26:23 pm

Hi Leon,

Your uploaded AE file comes through as missing the two png files that you used for your emitter layers so I replaced them with two colored solids. As far as I can tell, changing the layer used for the emitter works fine in your project. All you need to do is select the chosen layer in the "Layer" setting in the Layer Emitter properties, but it sounds like that was what you were doing. Unless there is something odd about the layers you were using (which I can't see because they are missing), I don't know what else would cause your issue.

Here's my project file with the exchanged layers.

12546_layeremittercolorchangeexample.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Leon Lee
on Jul 16, 2018 at 8:12:48 pm

Thank you Jim, sorry I forgot to pack the images in :P
But I opened your file, there is still the same problem:

I notice you have an additional "source" property under Layer Emitter which I lack in my Trapcode. Is it possible to be the problem? Or can you give me a screen shot? Thank you:)

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 16, 2018 at 9:14:33 pm

I'm using Particular 3.1.2, so perhaps you have an older version. That additional window gives options for "Source," "Masks," or "Effects & Masks," but since I have it set to "Source" it is just reading the layer itself, and not any masks or effects on the layer. I would assume that since your version doesn't have that window it would always be reading "source." In other words, I don't think it should make a difference for this project.

It looks like your particles are still mostly blue when the Green Solid is selected, which shouldn't be happening. Your image looks like what I get if I select "Lightness - Velocity" in the Layer RGB Usage window. Try selecting something other than "RGB - Particle Color" in that window, and then back to that. Perhaps there's a glitch and it's not properly reading the particle color, and cycling the selection might fix it.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 16, 2018 at 9:25:50 pm

Another thought, if you have an older version of Particular, is that you might have to select "Layer" under the Set Color setting of the Particle (Master) section. In mine that setting is greyed-out when a layer (or layer grid) is used as an emitter. I would think that yours was the same, but check it just in case it is controlling the particle color.

Return to posts index

Leon Lee
on Jul 19, 2018 at 6:28:11 pm

Hi Jim,
Yeah, you just hit the spot! It is because of the Set Color layer. When I set the Emitter type to Layer, the Set Color under particular is grayed out. I must first select another Emitter type such as Point and change the Set Color to At Start (only this mode works for me), and then change the Emitter type back to Layer or Layer Grid. THanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 19, 2018 at 9:49:08 pm

Great. I'm glad you got it worked out, and thanks for letting me know. It's odd that your version of Particular isn't automatically using the layer color when a layer emitter is used. I guess that's something they changed with the updates.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]