FORUMS: list search recent posts

Objects to exit bottom of frame and simultaneously enter top of the frame?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Del Fante
Objects to exit bottom of frame and simultaneously enter top of the frame?
on Jul 15, 2018 at 11:14:06 pm

Hi all!

I am trying to create a loop where objects are falling to the bottom of the frame and as they exit they enter the top of the frame. I would assume this is a simple task that Ae can achieve, I just can't find anything online because it is kind of specific.

Thank you!
Ben

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
Re: Objects to exit bottom of frame and simultaneously enter top of the frame?
on Jul 16, 2018 at 11:56:44 am

[Ben Del Fante] "to create a loop where objects are falling to the bottom of the frame and as they exit they enter the top of the frame"

Maybe using the Motion Tile effect ? (see attached project and screen grab)

12543_falling.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 16, 2018 at 2:01:06 pm

Offset will do this.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ben Del Fante
on Jul 18, 2018 at 6:04:26 am

Hi Dave. Thanks so much for the help, I've started my project now thanks to you!

It looks like offset effect creates a loop in any direction i want with in the layer's frame not within the composition's frame. I have edited the original layers so their frames match the composition's frame but i am unable to rotate them because their frames become incongruent with the comp's.

Any idea how i can use the offset effect to rely on the comp's frame and not the objects i want to offset? This way they can move freely within the comp and still loop in and out with in the comp's frame.

Thanks again,
Ben

Return to posts index

David Swanson
on Jul 18, 2018 at 9:37:52 pm

If my After Effects weren't spending over an hour analyzing in the background I'd test this idea out. I'll explain it as organized as I can, so the following should be seen as a hierarchy of compositions and layers:

The Master composition would contain a pre-comp (name the pre-comp "Offsetter"). That pre-comp will be as big as the Master composition. You'll add the offset effect to the pre-comp (just like you've been advised to do previously). Animate the offset to your hearts desire.

Before you make the Master comp, you'll need to make that Offsetter composition (this is why we read instructions before applying the solution). Again, make the Offsetter composition the same size as your final output (whatever Master comp will be). The only layer you'll have in this Offsetter composition is it's own pre-comp that will be called "Rotator" (or whatever you prefer). The Rotator pre-comp will be smaller than the Offsetter composition (however small the object is in comparison to the final output size). The Rotator pre-comp will be dead-center in your Offsetter composition and the object within the pre-comp will rotate (if you were to ram-preview it). There's nothing more that you need to do with the Offset composition.

Before you make the Offset composition you need to make the Rotator composition. That composition will be slightly larger than your object (this way it doesn't get clipped when you rotate it). Dead center of the composition will be the object you intend to animate. Animate that object (rotate or whatever you want), and that's all you have to do with this composition.

All of this should work and the only reason it might not is because I don't know if offset will treat pre-compositions the same way it would treat footage or graphical files. If offset doesn't work on pre-comps then render the Offsetter composition (include alpha channel) then bring back in and repeat the previous instructions from Dave.

Return to posts index

Ben Del Fante
on Jul 19, 2018 at 4:00:20 pm

My dog! thanks so much. All these layers in pre comps in master comps hurt my brain but that was easy enough. Thanks again, I'm gonna make some beautiful awful art thanks to you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]