FORUMS: list search recent posts

8 special blending modes in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marie-Christine Laniel
8 special blending modes in After Effects
on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:31:20 am

Hi, here is my question!

I am aware of the 8 special blending modes in Photoshop (that when you decrease the fill of you layer, it give another effect that if you would decrease the opacity). I was wondering if this alternative works in after effects as well.
I have notice that if you activate your ''Layer Style'' on any layer in AE, you can acces to blending options → advanced blendind → fill opacity, but this fill opacity seems to do exactly the same effect as normal opacity :/

Is there something that im doing wrong? Is it because you need to do it on a certain type of layer only? I really like the 8 special blending mode and I would love to put it in my AE work.

Thank you for taking the time :)

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
Re: 8 special blending modes in After Effects
on Jul 15, 2018 at 11:14:13 am

[Marie-Christine Laniel] "I have notice that if you activate your ''Layer Style'' on any layer in AE, you can acces to blending options → advanced blendind → fill opacity, but this fill opacity seems to do exactly the same effect as normal opacity"

I'm seeing Fill Opacity appear differently than Layer Opacity (the first Blend Mode I tried was Hard Mix because I thought it would look obvious)

here is top layer Layer Opacity 50% Hard Mix Blend

and here is top layer Fill Opacity 50% Hard Mix Blend

here's my AE project file;
12540_fillopacityvslayeropacityfolder.zip

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Jul 15, 2018 at 12:05:44 pm

and Color Burn is another blend mode which shows an obvious difference (using an Opacity Value of 35%, top image uses Layer Opacity and lower image uses Fill Opacity)

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Jul 15, 2018 at 3:12:46 pm

I see Ae's shows exactly the same when comparing with Ps blend modes fill/opacity in 7 out of the 8 blend modes. difference is the exception.

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Jul 15, 2018 at 5:11:13 pm

[Marie-Christine Laniel] "Is there something that im doing wrong? "

One thing I noticed was that the Fill Opacity seemed the same as Layer Opacity if the comp window was set to Fast Draft (rather than Final Quality)... so to see the difference you'd want to look at Final Quality

Return to posts index

Marie-Christine Laniel
on Jul 19, 2018 at 1:44:16 am

Hello everybody!
I just found out what the probleme was when I checked the files that ''Dirk de Jong'' kindly provide. It didn't work on my project because it was in 32 bcp!!! It doesn't work on 32 bcp, but in 8 and 16 it works just fine.

Thanks again for all your help, it was really appreciated 😊

Marie-Christine Laniel

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Jul 19, 2018 at 7:18:34 am

Good to know! Thanks for the update

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index