FORUMS: list search recent posts

File management suggestions for projects requiring drive transfers via collect files footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex ezorsky
File management suggestions for projects requiring drive transfers via collect files footage?
on Jul 14, 2018 at 2:50:12 pm

Lets say I have 200 video and image files organized into folders on my computer. I make an after effects project and use 30 of them. In that project I organize them into a different set of AE bins. Then I want to work on this project on laptop so I "collect files" and transfer to an external drive. I work on the project via laptop and then come back to my desktop and want to transfer my work back to the desktop. I cannot simply move the AE file because the external drive version links to the 30 files in the custom folders AE created during "collect files" based on the bins I made in AE. And transferring the entire "collected" folder from the external drive back to my desktop would create redundant source files.

Any suggestions for better workflows or solutions?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: File management suggestions for projects requiring drive transfers via collect files footage?
on Jul 14, 2018 at 6:01:32 pm

[alex ezorsky] "I cannot simply move the AE file because the external drive version links to the 30 files in the custom folders AE created during "collect files" based on the bins I made in AE."

if you do that, you will get missing footage warning but as long as you kept the same structure, relinking shouldn't be too hard.

also try this script by Zack Lovatt https://aescripts.com/local-hero/ that gives you ability to switch source at the touch of a button.

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

alex ezorsky
Re: File management suggestions for projects requiring drive transfers via collect files footage?
on Jul 15, 2018 at 8:32:35 pm

Local hero looks awesome, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]