FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ideas on this "appearing text" effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Silveira
Ideas on this "appearing text" effect
on Jul 12, 2018 at 7:25:48 pm

Hello! I'm trying to animate a logo and i'd like to have the letters appearing in the way Thibault de Fournas does in the title of the following video:

FROM PAPER TO SCREEN on Vimeo

He uses it in "From paper to screen" on the beginning and through the video as well.

Can anyone help me with that? Is it just a mask that grows or do you think it's something more manual?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Ideas on this "appearing text" effect
on Jul 12, 2018 at 10:06:55 pm

There are a number of ways to do this:
You could pass the text through a mask that is made of noise (use luma matte) and then animate the contrast of the noise so it starts as all black and then it eventually "whites out". This creates text with holes in it that fill in.
or
For more of an edge effect, premcompose a copy of the text, blur that text and animate the blur so that the text blurs so much you can't see it and animates to sharp. Combine that with a noise in the precomp so you get a ratty edge- you may need to scale the noise to keep up with the blur of the text. Then change the contrast with an adjustment layer to have the precomp's white areas expand or contract and use the precomp as the mask that bring on the text in the main comp. Then you can fade out the noise or use the contrast in the noise trick above to make the noise fade with the animation. This will bring the text on from the centre of each character out, like a water color bleed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]