FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keep custom filename in project window

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vladimir Kuharik
Keep custom filename in project window
on Jul 12, 2018 at 12:05:15 pm

Hello friends, i need just a little help... How to keep one filename in project window, regardless on how source file is called?

example: i have few pictures arranged all over the screen and i need to name them: upper left, upper right, etc... Then i replacing them with pictures i need. Every time i replace them, they take source file name (IMG_8461.JPG) and its confusing in long run. Ok i know i could make a template with filenames set but sometimes i need them changed few times and so on... Is there a way to force filename in project window in AE? Thank you :)

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
Re: Keep custom filename in project window
on Jul 12, 2018 at 3:01:53 pm

If you have an image in in your time line and it's actual name is ZZZ.jpg and you elect & rename it to Mine (doesn't even need an extension) in the comp, then simply clicking where it says Layer Name will toggle between the two in the comp.

If you now just only select Mine and then Alt drag AAA.jpg onto it from the Project window onto Mine. the image will change but the name in the Comp will remain the same UNTIL you again click the Layer Name. It will then show the actual source file name.

So I guess in your case, just make sure you've named them correctly in the comp layers initially as they'll always have to refer to an actual file in the project. That way it'll always remain named Upper Left, but might be pointing to BobsCat.jpg.

Probably the easiest way to deal with this & stay organized. You don't even need to know thefile name; just refer to the layer name.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]