FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expand iMac Pro storage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Paulley
Expand iMac Pro storage
on Jul 9, 2018 at 9:49:05 am

Hi, I need to expand an iMac Pro storage above the 1TB internal drive. What are some good options currently? I could get a smaller faster drive for current working files and a slower larger drive for archiving? I need about 4-8TB. I work mainly on After Effects animations, not video editing. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Expand iMac Pro storage
on Jul 10, 2018 at 4:29:08 pm

Perhaps a Promise Pegasus RAID? If you're working with video files, you can still benefit from the extra speed and protection that a RAID can offer.

On the lower end of the budget, you can get single-spindle, external Thunderbolt 3 drives in high capacities from manufacturers like G-Technology, Glyph and Lacie. They will be significantly slower, of course.

In any case, just please remember that all hard drives fail. It's a question of when, not if. Make sure you have a good backup strategy so you don't lose anything important!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

James Paulley
on Jul 11, 2018 at 1:45:12 pm

Thanks Walter! I was looking at this RAID box, what do you think? My main use of the extra storage will be to render image sequences or ProRes movies to, and then use those image sequences/movies as pre-renders in AE compositions.
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HLLF2ZM/A/g-technology-8tb-g-raid-wit...

Like you say, the single-drive version of that G-Technology drive is also an option.

This would obviously be killer, but would it be overkill for my workflow, considering I'm not editing 4K/6K footage?
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HLRN2ZM/A/lacie-2tb-bolt3-thunderbolt...

Return to posts index

James Paulley
on Jul 11, 2018 at 1:46:22 pm

Also, I have two 256GB Samsung 850 Pros and a 256GB 840 Pro lying around. Could they be put to worthwhile use?

Return to posts index

James Paulley
on Jul 11, 2018 at 1:47:45 pm

Sorry for multiple posts, I can't see how to edit a post. I was going to add: If you have any suggestions for a good backup solution too that would be great! Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]