FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a reverse TC generator.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Haavie
Making a reverse TC generator.
on Jul 9, 2018 at 6:28:56 am

I am really hard trying to find a TC generator effect that I can put on lots of clips in a timeline imported from Premiere that gives me the countdown time on each individual clip. A friend of mine is producing big live shows and he blocks them out before the show with dummy camera angles. The camera guys needs to know how many seconds they are live before an edit. Been googling alot around for this. Apearantly Avid has this posibility..

I would ideally do this in Premiere, but I guess it is bigger chance of making this work in AE.

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/1004902 (original post in the Premiere forum)

Anders

Xraid-Xserve-Xsan-Xeverything

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Making a reverse TC generator.
on Jul 9, 2018 at 2:56:17 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 9, 2018 at 6:43:00 pm

I don't see how this is going to help very much, if at all. I'm voting "not at all".

You're talking about LIVE TELEVISION, and anything can happen. Timings are vague at best. Things go wrong. You have to be able to adapt.

And I have five whole American Dollars that say there is NO cameraman on God's Green Earth who can remember all of the dozens of time windows (s)he would have the shot, nor how long those shots would last. This is why live shows have directors -- even if other shots are inserted during post-production.

If your producer can't grasp that 1) things won't go perfectly as planned and 2) camera people won't be able to cope well with the plan as described, (s)he's in for a very difficult program edit.

I think that instead of relying on technology for a bad solution, your producer would be far better off consulting with an experienced director of live televised events. Over the past 65 years, people have learned quite a few things about the best practices of shooting live events.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
on Jul 9, 2018 at 8:21:17 pm

This guy is traveling around the world making big international productions. (also for big US channels)

When editing music show the live editing is very precise.. I don't know exactly how his workflow is concerning the cameraguys, but this guy knows what he is doing. This is just for preparation of the editing, the actual productions is as described by another guy on the Premiere Forum.

(Typically U.K. multicam music directors block out to a music script/score & have an experienced music script-super/AD count the bars & shots. Search YouTube for Hamish Hamilton and you’ll get an idea.)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 9, 2018 at 9:50:10 pm

Well, if you say so.

If this is a known workflow in Avid, it sounds like someone has made the wrong choice of editing software.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
on Jul 10, 2018 at 6:04:52 am

Well.. he has been working with FCP since 5.0 days and has just recently made the switch from FCP 7 to Premiere. It was the least painfull, and FCP X was never an option since nobody is using it in broadcast work.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 10, 2018 at 1:54:30 pm

You can do this in Ae with an expression.

Import your Premiere edit into Ae, then add a Text layer as the top layer, above everything else in the edit. Twirl the text layer open, then twirl the Text layer group open, then Alt+click the Source Text stopwatch and paste this code:

layerName = "";
layerCountdown = "";
for (var i = index+1; i <= thisComp.numLayers; i++) {
if (thisComp.layer(i).active) {
layerName = thisComp.layer(i).name;
layerCountdown = timeToTimecode(thisComp.layer(i).outPoint - time, timecodeBase = 1/thisComp.frameDuration, isDuration = true);
}
}
layerName + "\n" + layerCountdown;

This will display the name and countdown for the active layer at the top of the stack (below the text layer).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]