FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preview becomes pixelated when adjusting masks / shape paths, won't get better until an AE reset... Anyone know why?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hauser
Preview becomes pixelated when adjusting masks / shape paths, won't get better until an AE reset... Anyone know why?
on Jul 5, 2018 at 7:05:55 am

I'm currently working on a project that has quite a bit of shape layer keyframing. While this isn't typically a huge deal, the second I update a path the preview panel seems to jump up 8 or 9 adaptive resolution iterations over the course of a second... And then stays there. Essentially, my preview becomes a Minecraft texture the moment a path is updated. The pixelation sometimes goes away after maybe 2 or 3 seconds of waiting, but other times I have to undo a few times to get it to remember to render at full resolution. Also, after I've incurred the wrath of pixel hell, moving ANY object after that point pixelates the entire composition the same way until I restart AE.

My first guess as to what was happening was that I had my preview set to "Adaptive Resolution", but it's set to full. My live playback is also set to full. Oddly enough, the animation plays back at full resolution if I hit the spacebar. Is there another adaptive resolution setting somewhere I'm missing? Working even remotely accurately with paths is pretty much impossible until I get this fixed.

I'm working in CC 2018 on Windows 10.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Preview becomes pixelated when adjusting masks / shape paths, won't get better until an AE reset... Anyone know why?
on Jul 5, 2018 at 2:54:47 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 5, 2018 at 6:16:28 pm

It sounds like it could be the nature of this particular project -- a change in one layer is involving other layers, and AE has a lot of re-thinking to do.

If it's possible, you can solo a layer as you tweak it to avoid continual re-rendering. When you're happy with all your minor adjustments, un-solo it. The re-rendering only occurs once.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]