FORUMS: list search recent posts

Element 3D V2.2 reflections multiple objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Lindner
Element 3D V2.2 reflections multiple objects
on Jul 3, 2018 at 11:31:21 pm

Hey guys!

I'm trying to make a pie chart that consists of an inner ring that will not be animated and an outer ring which I wanna animate. the outer ring should grow over time and is supposed to have different colours for different segments which I can achieve with some expressions and the radial wipe.
What I can't figure out: How can I get the outer ring to reflect on the same plate the inner ring uses? So far, I'm thinking, I have to use two different element layers to be able to animate just the outer ring with the radial wipe. But it would take away the mirror surface plate which would be on the inner ring Element 3D layer.

Inner ring with reflection:

With outer ring

Thank you guys very much in advance for your help!

Best
Daniel

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Element 3D V2.2 reflections multiple objects
on Jul 4, 2018 at 7:07:29 am

If you have set the reflection for the base ring to mirror, it will reflect the outer ring as long as they're in the same instance of element. All you really need for the outer ring is a custom texture map with your radial wipes etc. If you need to animate the outer ring separately from the inner, you can put it in a different group or assign it to an Aux channel. Either way, the reflections should work just fine without anything special.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Daniel Lindner
on Jul 4, 2018 at 8:13:39 am

Thank you for your answer, Kalleheikki.
I'm not sure, if I got this right. I drew a circle mask, used it as a custom layer in the element layer with the inner circle and applied a radial wipe to the custom layer. However, if I animate the radial wipe, it doesn't do anything, because it doesn't affect the extruded shape. It only works if I apply the radial wipe directly to Element.

Best
Daniel

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jul 7, 2018 at 7:21:52 am

Ok, I thought you were using the radial wipe to create a color texture, not to cut off the shape itself. You can't reshape the 3D layer itself with that effect. You could, however, use it to create a texture that has transparency inside (or outside) the radial wipe area and use that as a custom texture for Element. In Element, adjust the alpha threshold of the material to get a partially transparent object. You may also need to select a different texture mapping mode if the default UV doesn't place the texture the way you expect. This method will not create filled faces at the radial wipe cut-off points -- only reshaping the mask itself will.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]