FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Sound in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Rademacher
No Sound in After Effects
on Jun 28, 2018 at 7:45:03 am

I have been using After Effects to add titles to videos that I edit in Premiere. As I was finishing up the latest video, the sound stopped working in After Effects. It does not play or export any sound. I went back and made sure that the track wasn't muted in Premiere and exported it a second time. The sound plays in Premiere and also plays when I open the video in the Movies & TV app that comes with windows. I am using rampreview and there is still no sound. After Effects is set up to send audio to the same headphones as everything else on my PC.

It does not look like there is any audio activity going on at all in After Effects. I'm guessing I accidentally pressed a hotkey or something that disabled it, but I can't figure out what. I haven't updated recently. I have made roughly 30 videos and everything has worked fine. It just stopped working all of a sudden which is why I think i accidentally pressed the wrong key at some point.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: No Sound in After Effects
on Jun 29, 2018 at 11:12:10 am

A screenshot of your UI would help, but this could be caused by a number of things.

1) Ae only supports stereo audio. If you're using multichannel audio, you won't hear anything after the second channel, if you hear anything at all. If you are using multichannel audio that you want to hear in Ae, you should export a stereo mixdown for reference, work in Ae, then finish in an app like Premiere which can handle multichannel audio.

2) Confirm that sound is enabled for the layer.

3) If your audio layer is nested in a precomp, confirm that you have not accidentally set the audio as a guide layer (which would cause it to play in the precomp, but not render or play in any containing comps).

4) Confirm that the volume for the layer has not been adjusted. (Select the layer with audio and press L to reveal Audio Levels in the timeline.)

5) Confirm that audio is enabled in the Preview panel.

6) In Preferences > Preview, there's an option to mute audio when preview is not real-time. If this is enabled, you'll only hear audio in Ae when preview is running at full speed.

7) Confirm that your audio hardware preferences are correct.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rademacher
Re: No Sound in After Effects
on Jun 29, 2018 at 4:52:23 pm

The audio was exported with the video from Premiere the same way I have exported the last 29 videos. It is also the exact same audio track for each video.

What I did in the end was drop the audio track into After Effects. It then played the audio fine and I exported it from there when I was done. Everything exported fine so I moved on to the next video.

On the next video, I did everything in Premiere the exact same way I have been doing for all of the videos and when I loaded the video exported from Premiere into AE, everything worked fine. So, I have no idea what it was that caused the audio from that one single video to no play or export, but everything is working again.

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]