FORUMS: list search recent posts

Revealing a List of Text Line by Line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Ellison
Revealing a List of Text Line by Line
on Jun 26, 2018 at 4:11:24 pm

Hi all,

I really hope someone can help me with this. I've been asked to a list of phrases start scrolling really fast, almost like a fruit machine, then land on a line which will have the word we're highlighting bold.

I've done this by creating two lists, on regular, one bold, then animating the y position. I put track masks on them so that the bold word is revealed once in the center, and the regular word disappears.

The problem is that you can see the words passing through the matte. What I need is each phrase to go from fully bold to fully regular instantly once out of the central area, rather than seeing it gradually changing.

I'm all out of ideas and would really appreciate help.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Revealing a List of Text Line by Line
on Jun 26, 2018 at 5:37:32 pm

If we build the track matte so that it's sized for a single line, but use an expression to make it move with the type and jump back to its starting position after it reaches its own height, we'll get that single line/cut reveal:

Check out a sample AEP:
12480_scrollingtextlinerevealer.aep.zip

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Jun 26, 2018 at 6:18:30 pm

Walter, I want your babies you just saved my ass! Thank you so much sir.

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Jul 5, 2018 at 7:40:17 pm

Hey Walter, I've noticed that if I make a really long list and go speedy through it, the expression starts breaking down every few words and they get cut in half e.t.c. before going normal again, then rinse repeat. Any ideas why this might be happening? Really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 6, 2018 at 1:13:04 am

Gary, that'll happen if the solid is not the exact same size as the line spacing, and if it's not positioned exactly between the lines. I just eyeballed it when I made the original project, and I should have been more precise.

I'd suggest manually setting the leading, and adjusting the size/scale of the Text Matte solid to match it exactly. If you're using 60px type, the default leading is 72px, and you should set the solid to be 72px in height at 100% scale. Move the solid so it sits perfectly over a line of text, exactly splitting the separation between lines, and you should be all set.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Gary Ellison
on Jul 6, 2018 at 3:52:38 pm

That worked perfectly! Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]