FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mocha AE Beginner-Tracking Data gives odd results in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Hampton
Mocha AE Beginner-Tracking Data gives odd results in AE
on Jun 26, 2018 at 1:04:06 am

Am total newbie with Mocha AE. I tracked a product label in Mocha, looked great. However when I export tracking data to AE and make a new solid (using "make comp Size") I get a huge box that moves but doesn't fit the product label.

Have tried this on other clips with mixed results.

Return to posts index

Martin Brennand
Re: Mocha AE Beginner-Tracking Data gives odd results in AE
on Jun 26, 2018 at 2:36:19 am

Which tutorials are you following?

You can export tracking data in two ways:
1. With the surface tool positioned around the area, you want to insert to
2. With the surface tool expanded to fit the dimensions

Method (1) is useful if your layer insert in AE is the same size as the comp (or you have expanded the insert in a precomp to the dimensions of the footage)
Method (2) is useful if your layer insert is positioned/painted exactly at the place where you want it in the AE timeline and you've precomposed it so the alpha around the image matches the dimensions of the footage.

I'd recommend watching this tutorial to get the hang of it:
https://borisfx.com/videos/mocha-fundamentals-chapter-8a-corner-pin-data-af...

This uses Mocha Pro v4, but most of it is relevant to Mocha AE.

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | mocha - Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Jun 26, 2018 at 11:44:39 pm

Hi Martin
Thanks for your help. I did watch the video you suggested as well as some from Mary Poplin and Surfaced Studio. They all seem to show the same procedures.

It seems like Mocha is tracking just fine. My problem is the tracking doesn't show up the same in After Effects. I've tried making new solid same size as comp, precompose, all things shown in tutorials but get these results.

I don't know what you mean by the surface tool. Is this in Mocha AE? I don't see it. Does it have another name? But you are saying I need to select that tool, then export tracking data?

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Jun 27, 2018 at 12:00:03 am

Hi
I found a button with S what's called Surface Tool in FAQ, but when you hover it says 'show planar surface' and doesn't seem to do anything. I can switch on/off but that's it.

Return to posts index

Martin Brennand
on Jun 27, 2018 at 9:03:47 am

The surface is the tool that represents the tracking data.
Turning it on from the view controls just shows it, but you can manipulate it as well (using the corners and edges) or use "align surface" sitting under the layer controls to maximise the surface to the same dimensions as the image.

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | mocha - Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Jun 27, 2018 at 4:50:28 pm

Thanks Martin

I'll try that. I was able to get better results with more practice. I think one problem was I wasn't defining the tracking area properly. I thought I clicked to complete the shape but maybe not. When I tried the exact same clip again I got a good result.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]