FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dynamic Link Distortion Premiere Pro to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Townsend
Dynamic Link Distortion Premiere Pro to After Effects
on Jun 23, 2018 at 5:57:03 pm
Last Edited By Stuart Townsend on Jun 23, 2018 at 7:54:57 pm

Strange, can't figure this one out. 1920x1080 clip in a 1920x818 sequence, square pixels. When I Replace with After Effects Composition in Premiere, it opens up in After Effects distorted. It looks like the pixel aspect has changed but they are square, sequence settings all match, just the appearance. It appears to be compressed vertically by 9%. How random. Second image is in AE. Premiere 12.1.1, AE 15.1.1 (12). MacBook Pro late 2012. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Dynamic Link Distortion Premiere Pro to After Effects
on Jun 24, 2018 at 1:39:33 am

We'll need to know a whole lot more to make a diagnosis. What kind of footage is this, what aspect ratio was used for shooting -- or what the INTENDED aspect ratio was -- and it also looks like it was shot in RAW. So I guess we'd need to know the camera and codec, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart Townsend
on Jun 24, 2018 at 7:24:33 pm

Thank you, I wasn't sure what more information would be useful. The footage was shot on a Sony A7SII, in SLog2 with an .mp4 codec, originally 16:9 aspect ratio, 1920x1080 at 120 fps. The footage went into Premiere Pro, untranscoded and was cut into a 2.35x1 sequence, 1920x818, interpreted at 23.98 fps. I'm editing on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz i7, 16 GB 1600 DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650m 1 GB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.

Please let me know if I left out and useful information.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 24, 2018 at 9:40:02 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 24, 2018 at 9:56:27 pm

Mp4 is not a codec; it's a media container like a quicktime movie. Knowing the codec will help. The big difference in color between the two screen shots makes me wonder if is wasn't shot in raw.

23.98 is NOT an actual frame rate. It's actually 23.976, and your work in any Adobe product must reflect this.

I can't answer why AE isn't interpreting the footage's pixel aspect ratio properly. It's probably a bug. I'd cut together a few shots in PP ay 1920x1080, bring them into AE, and see what happens. And you should probably do this first --
Highlight the problem clip and scale it to fit the comp.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart Townsend
on Jun 24, 2018 at 10:06:06 pm

Excuse me, your are correct. The codec is MPEG-4, and I was (incorrectly) rounding the frame rate. I believe it is likely a bug as well and will follow your advice.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 25, 2018 at 9:43:06 am

Can you show a screen shot of your entire After Effects UI, with the clip selected in the project panel and in the timeline, and with its transform properties and effects exposed? Or maybe upload a small clip that we can see?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]