FORUMS: list search recent posts

trapcode particular - opaque blend mode for textured polygons?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Hahn
trapcode particular - opaque blend mode for textured polygons?
on Jun 20, 2018 at 5:02:26 am

Hello

I am trying to create a particle system using trapcode particular that spits out particles that are textured polygons with the image of a rose wrapped around them

I have tried images of roses with white backgrounds, black backgrounds, and no background (png files with a transparent background) - but no matter what I do I cannot seem to get the particles to just be the isolated rose with no background UNLESS I have them set to some sort of additive blend mode that ignores the background- this looks great EXCEPT it creates translucency in all of the roses

rather than having each particle use some sort of blend mode- is there a way to create a custom particle in particular where the particle is not at all transparent? ie. just have fully opaque cut out roses with no background within their bounding box being emitted? There must be some way to achieve this or another way to have an opaque shaped particle loaded from a custom image?

Any tips would be infinitely appreciated!

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: trapcode particular - opaque blend mode for textured polygons?
on Jun 20, 2018 at 3:31:17 pm

Try saving your rose as a PSD with an alpha channel (and as a flattened imaged with a background), or as a PSD with a transparent background (no background layer and the rose with a transparent surround).
If you go the alpha route, two things: you may need to interpret that element in the project panel of AE as premultiplied (for the alpha) or you will have to extend the pixels of the rose beyond its own edges so that you don't get a halo of the background color of the image sneaking through the antialiasing of the alpha edge. This is easy for a rose, just put a slightly scaled up version of the rose behind the current one and flatten the file. (make sure you have the alpha in the channels menu first).
Then you can use a normal blend mode in Particular.
I'm not sure why the png with a tranparent bg is not working, but I have seen this happen before due to how it was created.
Any file with alpha capability can hold an alpha but there has to be an alpha to hold. So Tiff, EXR, TGA, PNG, etc will work but not jpg.

Return to posts index

Anna Hahn
Re: trapcode particular - opaque blend mode for textured polygons?
on Jun 25, 2018 at 8:00:04 am

That worked perfectly thank you so much!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]