FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using effects on 3d layer objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeyson Mendon
Using effects on 3d layer objects
on Jun 18, 2018 at 11:52:25 pm

I am a adobe After Effects rookie and having a heck of a problem. I made a simple letter that I want to spin inside of a ring. I made both objects 3d layers and extrude them to give them a thickness. I added some rotation key frames and got exactly what I wanted except I then wanted to add effects to the objects and when I do that, the objects no longer interact correctly. When the ring spins around the letter, the letter is always on top of the ring. These are precomposed layers and I noticed that the 3d layer buttons were turned off after precomposing so I turned 3d layer back on and it makes the letter go back to spinning correctly inside of the circle but the effect I had applied disappear! Please help. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Using effects on 3d layer objects
on Jun 19, 2018 at 10:33:15 am

You cannot apply effects to extruded text or shape layers, with either the CINEMA 4D or the Ray-Traced 3D renderers. This is because both 3D renderers are creating geometry which will react to lighting and materials, rather than pixels that will react to effects.

Which effects do you want to add to your objects? You might be better off using adjustment layers with track mattes.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeyson Mendon
Re: Using effects on 3d layer objects
on Jun 19, 2018 at 1:13:09 pm

Well that explains it. Thank you. I am trying to apply fractal noise and shine. I guess it is time to read up on adjustment layers and track mattes. If you know of any good tutorials that would explain what I am trying to do I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]