FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recreate the La Linea effect in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Greber
Recreate the La Linea effect in After Effects
on Jun 18, 2018 at 10:38:36 am

Dear Creative Cow community,

I'm a regular reader of this forum and the posts helped me in many cases - thank you.

Now I've got a question and couldn't find a solution so far - I hope you that somebody could give me a hint. I know that the classical "La Linea" / "The Line" cartoons by Osvaldo Cavandoli are hand drawn, but recently I saw an ad that features the classical character and looks like 2D animation: Vimeo Ford C-Max. I wondered if there is a method in After Effects to recreate this effect of a character "blending/melting together with the ground". I would like to animate a simple character in After Effects that melts with the ground and forms an outline - like these examples:

I thought about a comp with the character and ground inside. Then I would add a kind of Stroke effect onto this comp that draws the line around it. Sadly the stroke effect only works with masks? If someone knows how to recreate this effect or a third party plugin that could help I would be very happy.

Thank you and kind regards,
Frank

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Recreate the La Linea effect in After Effects
on Jun 18, 2018 at 2:16:18 pm

I don't believe there is a plugin for this.
I have tried to find an option for years even as far as using Maya.
that kind of work is hand drawn in most cases.
Or some crazy masking in AE.

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Jun 18, 2018 at 7:12:02 pm

You can use the Paintbrush tool to hand draw this type of animation in After Effects. There are also various stroke-type effects and the Shape tools which offer similar but you wouldn't get the hand drawn quality with those as you could with the Paintbrush tool.

cheers,

Angie Taylor | Creative Cabin Ltd | Linkedin Instructor | Adobe Community Professional

http://www.creativecabin.co.uk
https://www.lynda.com/Angie-Taylor/2131450-1.html
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 19, 2018 at 10:44:22 am

[Frank Greber] "I thought about a comp with the character and ground inside. Then I would add a kind of Stroke effect onto this comp that draws the line around it. Sadly the stroke effect only works with masks?"

I think you're on the right track.

Instead of the Stroke effect, though, use the Stroke layer style on your precomp, and set Layer Styles > Blending Options > Advanced Blending > Fill Opacity to 0%.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]