FORUMS: list search recent posts

Large canvas and "world" - but missing 3D layer's axis widget in ortho views

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
Large canvas and "world" - but missing 3D layer's axis widget in ortho views
on Jun 16, 2018 at 2:56:36 am

So we've got a pretty big canvas for a project, and the world space is also very big (its a giant parallax shot).

When a 3D "flats" layer gets dragged too far in the X, left or right, and I look from the Right view, I can't see the layer's axis widget.
It is visible in the front view and camera views.
Same problem goes for the Y if I'm looking from the top and I've pushed the layer to deep into the Y axis.

Its as though there is camera clipping going on but just for the Axis widget. Even panning around to get the layer's bounding box into the "viewable" area in the side views still doesn't reveal the widget. How come can I see the layer but not the widget?

AE 2018 R15.01

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
Re: Large canvas and "world" - but missing 3D layer's axis widget in ortho views
on Jun 16, 2018 at 7:52:33 am
Last Edited By Angie Taylor on Jun 16, 2018 at 7:55:39 am

Hi Steve,

For this kind of work it's better to use the Anchor Point value to adjust the position of the elements within your frame, rather than the Position value. For exactly this reason. If you adjust the position, the anchor point moves with the layer so will no longer be central and easy to locate. Also, any subsequent scaling or rotating will happen around the anchor point, which is now somewhere unsuitable.

I'd advise resetting the position value of the layer and then scrubbing the Anchor Point value to "move" the content of the layer to where you want it. This way the Axis should remain central to each of your views and easy to locate. Hope this helps :-)

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor | Creative Cabin Ltd

http://www.creativecabin.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Large canvas and "world" - but missing 3D layer's axis widget in ortho views
on Jun 16, 2018 at 2:53:32 pm

Hey Angie,
I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Your phrase:
Also, any subsequent scaling or rotating will happen around the anchor point, which is now somewhere unsuitable.
outlines a problem but seems to be a pro for doing it this way.

If I have kept the anchor point closer to stage-center and then I want to scale that object, the distance between the anchor and the object will also scale, thereby moving the object from where I placed it. Similarly, rotating it will inscribe the object along an arc instead of just spinning it in place. And as you know, clients always wanna change stuff after you've gotten it just right.

This also shifts the problem I described in the OP to the camera view, which I wasn't expecting. Using your method I can now see all the anchors (you're right of course; the axis widget is defining where the anchor point is) in the ortho views no matter where the object is, but with the camera venturing out far enough to pass by objects in the extreme foreground, objects in the background, now viewed through the camera, visually loose their axis. So again it seems like there is camera clipping going on for te axis. But its odd that bounding boxes don't get clipped in either method and the actual pixels of the object still render.

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Jun 16, 2018 at 8:47:11 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding your last message. Could you perhaps upload a movie or project file so I can see what you mean? ☺

Thanks,

Angie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]