FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting to AVI Uncompressed on Mac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Shields
Converting to AVI Uncompressed on Mac
on Jun 14, 2018 at 5:41:08 pm

Hi,

I need to convert an animation created in AE to AVI uncompressed for a video signage. Just called the tech and he says the system won't take anything else.

What's the simplest way to do this? I'm on a MacBook Pro with both Compressor and Adobe ME. Has anyone ever worked with iSkysoft Video Converter? It boasts about being able to do this but I wanted to make sure before purchasing. Specs on the video are 3584 x 360 AVI 30 uncompressed.

Thanks for any help?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Converting to AVI Uncompressed on Mac
on Jun 14, 2018 at 6:38:28 pm

I use iSkysoft iMedia for AVI/WMV converts.
But for Uncompressed AVI, I use Adobe on my Maya PC system.
The iSkysoft only shows Xvid and Divx for Encoder on the Mac.
I also have issues when creating odd sizes like stadium/arena aspect ratio Digital Signage.
iSkysoft don't like to use weird sizes like 2996x42 pixels using AVI codec.

Return to posts index

David Patterson
on Apr 22, 2019 at 2:18:34 pm

I just received a request for an uncompressed AVI video 1776p H x 96p W for animated graphics to display in a stadium. Will iSkysoft converter properly encode a file with these dimensions?

I am working on a Mac with OS High Sierra. I need to know how to encode to AVI from whatever I render from After Effects/Media Encoder. What tools are people using these days?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 14, 2018 at 6:50:44 pm

Maybe ffmpeg, plus a GUI frontend if you're uncomfortable with the command line? Something like ffWorks looks promising.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:25:48 pm

Honestly, I'm an artist and I have no idea what I'm looking at with this ff.works. Nice looking gui but I see no obvious convert this file to avi uncompressed buttons. I see all kinds of codecs I've never seen before but no avi. There's avui, avrp, ayuv but no avi.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:22:15 pm

This is crazy. I've spent hours trying to figure out how to convert this file to avi. Am I missing something really obvious? It shouldn't be this complicated. And why would systems need avi only in 2018?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jun 14, 2018 at 9:00:41 pm

[Craig Shields] " And why would systems need avi only in 2018?"

Asking the real questions, I see... haha.

Not only they want a deprecated wrapper, but they want it uncompressed. The slowest way to send a file!

I've just today delivered a .dcp package of 200mb which was turned back because they only accepted uncompressed .mov (3GB).

I honestly hope the client sells more with those 0.5% crispier pixels.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:58:41 pm

I think I may have gotten it solved using MPEGstreamclip. It's the only thing that will play it back though. I'm sending. We'll see.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 19, 2018 at 11:06:42 am

[Craig Shields] "I think I may have gotten it solved using MPEGstreamclip. It's the only thing that will play it back though. I'm sending. We'll see."

I'm glad you got it sorted, and I'm sorry I didn't think to suggest MPEG Streamclip to you.

[Craig Shields] " It shouldn't be this complicated. And why would systems need avi only in 2018?"

[Cassius Marques] "Asking the real questions, I see... haha. Not only they want a deprecated wrapper, but they want it uncompressed.... I honestly hope the client sells more with those 0.5% crispier pixels."

It sounds like you're doing some kind of stadium signage? This is a relatively small market with only a handful of solutions available, and the big one does prefer uncompressed AVI. In these cases, it's not so much the client making absurd demands as the technicians requesting the native format for their playback system. It can definitely be a drag, but can still be a pretty technical field and I always recommend digging into delivery specs at the beginning of a job.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Patterson
on Apr 22, 2019 at 1:42:03 pm

A client just asked me about simple text animations for stadium graphics, some of which require uncompressed AVI files. I'm glad I found this link and suggestion to use MPEG Streamclip. Can anyone advise if MPEG Streamclip is compatible with OSX High Sierra? The notes on their website suggest it hasn't been updated since 2008!

Return to posts index

Colby Fulton
on Oct 22, 2019 at 11:11:37 pm

I'm doing some hockey stadium graphics for those ring screens and need to convert to uncompressed AVIs too. Do you just save as AVI out of MPEG Streamclip? Not export right?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 23, 2019 at 4:02:35 pm

In the past, we used MAINCONCEPT MPEG ENCODER For all digital signage codecs.
Couldnt figure out why some needed UNCOMPRESSED AVI but we dealt with it.
Of late, local sports arenas have been fine with h264 or just send them a ProRes file and they do the conversion on their end.
Sizes vary from 7442x48 to HD.
iSkySoft does not do UNCOMPRESSED AVI.
I contacted tech support and waiting to hear back.
Only fix of late is to use AME on my Maya PC box.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 24, 2019 at 12:37:24 pm

iSkySoft got back to me on this UNCOMPRESSED AVI question.
Setting your codec to "SAME AS SOURCE" is their option.
I have no idea if that is correct, maybe someone here can jump in.

Return to posts index

David Patterson
on Oct 24, 2019 at 3:27:11 pm

I'm working on a Mac, so export to AVI isn't an option. Instead I found someone with a PC who was able to handle it for me. The uncompressed AVI files are HUGE, but that's what the client requested.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 24, 2019 at 4:09:31 pm

iSkySoft is also on the Mac.
I use it all the time for digital signage odds and ends sizes.
I do a lot for local sports teams.
cant stand the formats but its a living :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]