FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting to AVI Uncompressed on Mac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Shields
Converting to AVI Uncompressed on Mac
on Jun 14, 2018 at 5:41:08 pm

Hi,

I need to convert an animation created in AE to AVI uncompressed for a video signage. Just called the tech and he says the system won't take anything else.

What's the simplest way to do this? I'm on a MacBook Pro with both Compressor and Adobe ME. Has anyone ever worked with iSkysoft Video Converter? It boasts about being able to do this but I wanted to make sure before purchasing. Specs on the video are 3584 x 360 AVI 30 uncompressed.

Thanks for any help?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Converting to AVI Uncompressed on Mac
on Jun 14, 2018 at 6:38:28 pm

I use iSkysoft iMedia for AVI/WMV converts.
But for Uncompressed AVI, I use Adobe on my Maya PC system.
The iSkysoft only shows Xvid and Divx for Encoder on the Mac.
I also have issues when creating odd sizes like stadium/arena aspect ratio Digital Signage.
iSkysoft don't like to use weird sizes like 2996x42 pixels using AVI codec.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 14, 2018 at 6:50:44 pm

Maybe ffmpeg, plus a GUI frontend if you're uncomfortable with the command line? Something like ffWorks looks promising.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:25:48 pm

Honestly, I'm an artist and I have no idea what I'm looking at with this ff.works. Nice looking gui but I see no obvious convert this file to avi uncompressed buttons. I see all kinds of codecs I've never seen before but no avi. There's avui, avrp, ayuv but no avi.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:22:15 pm

This is crazy. I've spent hours trying to figure out how to convert this file to avi. Am I missing something really obvious? It shouldn't be this complicated. And why would systems need avi only in 2018?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jun 14, 2018 at 9:00:41 pm

[Craig Shields] " And why would systems need avi only in 2018?"

Asking the real questions, I see... haha.

Not only they want a deprecated wrapper, but they want it uncompressed. The slowest way to send a file!

I've just today delivered a .dcp package of 200mb which was turned back because they only accepted uncompressed .mov (3GB).

I honestly hope the client sells more with those 0.5% crispier pixels.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jun 14, 2018 at 7:58:41 pm

I think I may have gotten it solved using MPEGstreamclip. It's the only thing that will play it back though. I'm sending. We'll see.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 19, 2018 at 11:06:42 am

[Craig Shields] "I think I may have gotten it solved using MPEGstreamclip. It's the only thing that will play it back though. I'm sending. We'll see."

I'm glad you got it sorted, and I'm sorry I didn't think to suggest MPEG Streamclip to you.

[Craig Shields] " It shouldn't be this complicated. And why would systems need avi only in 2018?"

[Cassius Marques] "Asking the real questions, I see... haha. Not only they want a deprecated wrapper, but they want it uncompressed.... I honestly hope the client sells more with those 0.5% crispier pixels."

It sounds like you're doing some kind of stadium signage? This is a relatively small market with only a handful of solutions available, and the big one does prefer uncompressed AVI. In these cases, it's not so much the client making absurd demands as the technicians requesting the native format for their playback system. It can definitely be a drag, but can still be a pretty technical field and I always recommend digging into delivery specs at the beginning of a job.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]