FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating AE presets using composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ley akino
Creating AE presets using composition
on Jun 13, 2018 at 4:34:11 pm

Hi to all, I have been coming here to creative cow for quiet sometime and the community here really helped me a lot. This is my first time posting here and my first question is how do you create a preset that generates a composition similar to the Mr. Horse plugin http://take.ms/NCx7v

I'm planning to create some cool transition effects that I would give away for free but got stuck on how to develop this.

Thank you for the help

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Creating AE presets using composition
on Jun 13, 2018 at 6:06:30 pm

You can't do this entirely in Ae without developing a script or a plugin.

But you do have a few options:

1) You could just develop an AET (template) that people start from, or an AEP (project file) that people import into their existing projects.

2) You might look into Motion Graphics Templates if you want to interoperate with Premiere Pro:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/creating-motion-graphics-templa...

3) You might look at the CompCode script at Aescripts, which converts comps to portable ExtendScript code:
https://aescripts.com/compcode/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

ley akino
on Jun 17, 2018 at 8:10:12 am

Thanks Walter, I really appreciate this. I will check the links you provided. I have another question though and its still related on my post above. I was trying to study the Mr. Horse transition effect that they created and I notice that they created a separate comp where they placed all the effects there and use it as some sort of like an adjustment layer and I tried replicating that same style and when I placed my own effects (inside the pre-comp) above a movie clip, its not responding. Here is the screenshot of the Mr. Horse plugin

https://monosnap.com/file/ZVrWoXPJpAOUDTeY9Ebq3ZfvjEGY2J

Thanks again for the help

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 19, 2018 at 12:28:02 am

It'd be great to see the full UI for each instead of the cropped views, but I'll hazard a guess. If you have adjustment layers inside a transition comp that you want to affect the layers beneath them in a containing comp, you need to enable Collapse Transformations. Click the little sun icon switch on the transition comp layer in your main comp.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/precomposing-nesting-pre-render...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

ley akino
on Jul 4, 2018 at 10:02:12 am

Thanks Walter, I really appreciate the help. It's working now, I thought that icon's use is to make vector files looks crisp I have no idea you can use it like this. Thanks again

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 4, 2018 at 10:12:36 am

The "Continuously Rasterize" switch is overloaded. Although it often works as the "keep it sharp" button, this switch with the sun icon has two very different functions, depending on layer type.

For vector layers, this switch tells Ae, "Transform this layer first, then redraw the vector at its new size, position and rotation after the transformation." This gives you sharp lines, no matter how big you scale your layer. It also changes the render order, rendering effects after transformations instead of before. Without Continuously Rasterize checked, the layer is drawn ("rasterized") only once at its original 100% size, then effects are rendered, then that raster image is transformed.

For composition layers, the switch is actually called "Collapse Transformations." This tells Ae, "Treat the layers inside this precomp as if they were a bunch of layers that were directly in the containing comp." While this sometimes has the same effect as Continuous Rasterization (like when you have vector layers inside a precomp with no effects on the precomp layer), it works very differently.

Because Collapse Transformations essentially pulls the layers from the precomp into the main comp for rendering, it lets you do cool things like use blend modes, combine 3D spaces, and, like its name suggests, concatenate transformations. This means that the two separate transform operations (position, scale, rotation) from inside the comp and outside the comp are combined into a single operation. In other words, a 25% scale on a layer inside the precomp, and a 400% scale on the precomp layer inside the main comp will cancel each other out and equal 100% scale, instead of creating a blurry pixelated mess.

The downside is that effects applied to the precomp layer will no longer work quite the same. Remember, we're now treating the contents of the precomp as if they were a set of individual layers inside the containing comp; we are no longer rendering the precomp in memory and treating it as a single image in the containing comp before applying effects. Ae will apply any effects on the precomp layer to each and every layer within the precomp after transformations have been collapsed, and it will apply them in their own native layer spaces. This can yield really different results than applying the same effects to the one composite of all those layers.

This is a confusing topic (and a confusing UX in Ae). If you have any questions, please ask away and I'll do my best to clarify.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]