FORUMS: list search recent posts

Assigning a default color profile to media?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Kristensen
Assigning a default color profile to media?
on May 30, 2018 at 5:38:41 pm

Hi all,

I'm having problems with importing PSD-files with no embedded profile.

My working space is set to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1".

When I import PSD-files from Photoshop everything works fine since Photoshop has embedded the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" profile in the files.

However when I import PSD-files from TVPaint things go wrong. There is no embedded profile in the psd files (TVPaint apparently can't embed any profile even though it only works in sRGB). For some reason After Effects decides to assign the "Rec.709 Gamma 2.4" profile to the files, which makes the colors look wrong. When I manually change the assigned profile to "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" everything looks as it should. So I guess I could do it manually, but I will have hundreds of PSD-files with many layers which I would have to go thorugh one by one.

So my question is:
Is there a way to specify a default color profile to assign to media without an embedded profile?

Thank you.

P.s. Here is a picture that shows what After Effects does by default now:

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Assigning a default color profile to media?
on May 30, 2018 at 6:06:05 pm

Wait a minute -- TVPaint is a 2D animation application, right?

When you export from it, how are you ending up with hundreds of PSD files? Why aren't you ending up with a movie or an image sequence?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andreas Kristensen
on May 30, 2018 at 6:40:08 pm

Hi Dave,

Sorry I was a bit vague. TVPaint can export PSD image sequences that when imported to After Effects preserves the layer structure from TVPaint. So what I meant was: I will have hundreds of PSD image sequences with many layers (up to 50). And for all of those layers I will have to change the color profile manually.

All the best,
Andreas

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 30, 2018 at 8:29:27 pm

[Andreas Kristensen] "Is there a way to specify a default color profile to assign to media without an embedded profile? "

Yes. You could modify your Interpretation Rules.txt file. In Preferences > General, choose "Reveal Preferences in Explorer/Finder" then open the Interpretation Rules.txt file in a text edit. The comments at the top of the file describe how to set a new rule.

A more user-friendly approach might be to use the "Remember Interpretation" and "Apply Interpretation" features. Use Interpret Footage to set one file the way that all files should be. Next, right-click the correctly-interpreted file, go to the Interpret Footage submenu, then choose Remember Interpretation. Then, multi-select all remaining files, right-click one, go to Interpret Footage, then choose Apply Interpretation.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andreas Kristensen
on May 31, 2018 at 1:02:14 pm

Hi Walter,

Thank you so much for the response.

I went for the first solution you mentioned. The interpretation rules text file looked rather confusing when I first opened it, but after reading through the comments it was not so hard to understand. MATCH REQUIREMENTS on the left side of the = or ~. And SET INTERPRETATION on the other.

So I came up with this line to add to the text file:
*, *, *, "8BPS", * = *, *, *, *, "wRGB", *

And it works! It assigns the working space to the 8bit psd-files coming from TVPaint. This will be perfect for this project.

I was wondering though, since there are no MATCH REQUIREMENTS for embedded color profiles I guess there is no way to assign a specific color profile only to files with no embedded profile. Or am I missing something?

Again, thank you for taking your time to answer my question. It solved my problem and I really appreciate it.

P.s. The user-friendly solution was also new to me. Great to know for another time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]