FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vertical Carousel Text?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Krista Hoffmaster
Vertical Carousel Text?
on May 30, 2018 at 12:33:18 pm

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how to make vertical carousel text kind of like the UI scroll but making it a rotation instead of something that stops at the end. I tried to see if there were any effects that would curve the text around like a cylinder but no luck. When I search "Vertical Carousel" Text Rotation nothing shows. Maybe I am using wrong wording?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Vertical Carousel Text?
on May 30, 2018 at 3:39:29 pm

Nope, you're understood. You can't do it in AE EXACTLY the way it looks in the example (without more time-consuming work, that is) but you can get close.
  • Make your lines of text on separate layers. Put them all in the same vertical position, and check that they match up the way you want. The easiest vertical position will be centered in the comp.
  • Make the text layers 3D. Create a null and make it 3D. It will conveniently appear in the center of the screen.
  • Move the null back in z-space... let's say -300 for starters.
  • Parent the first text layer to the null. Rotate the null on the x-axis only by a fixed amount. Parent the second layer to the null. Continue this process until all text layers are parented.

The z-depth of the null and the amount of its x-rotation as you parent are both dependent o the number of text layers and the size of the typeface used. You may want to position a 3D solid at the null's anchor point to obscure the text layers as they rotate. Feather the top & bottom of the solid to make the layers look like they're fading away.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Vertical Carousel Text?
on May 30, 2018 at 9:29:33 pm

Alternatively, you can use the CC Cylinder effect. You might need to precomp the text layer and mess with the size of that precomp to get the cylinder to be the radius you want and then animate the text moving vertically in the precomp (expressions to give you control in your main comp would be good). :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]