Working on a script converting all possible shape layer shapes to masks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans Christian Fürstenheim
Working on a script converting all possible shape layer shapes to masks
on May 29, 2018 at 7:33:54 pm
Last Edited By Hans Christian Fürstenheim on May 29, 2018 at 10:15:37 pm

Hi everyone

First post here in this forum (which has been very useful as a resource learning After Effects).

I'm currently working on a script to that converts any kind of possible shape from a shape layer to masks. My initial motivation to start creating the script was, that I had some complex shape layers with a lot of different kind of shapes on them that I wanted to convert to masks so they could be imported into Element 3D. After a lot of googling and searching I realized that such a script doesn't exist (prove me wrong). A script to convert a simple closed shape path made with the pen exists, but not a script that can convert any possible shape in a comp to masks 1:1.

So what I'm working on is a script replicating (if so) every possible (convertible) parameter, feature whatever like:
Strokes including width, butt caps, colors, dashes.
Rectangles, circles, ellipsis, rounded rectangles, polygons, stars etc.

Right now I have an alpha version but I'dd like to get some feedback of my idea and if you think it would be a good tool to add to the AE-toolbox of scripts. What do you think of this idea?

Best Regards
Hans Christian

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Working on a script converting all possible shape layer shapes to masks
on May 30, 2018 at 9:43:31 pm

Can you get it to work when the scales of the layers are different? And when the scaling of the shape groups are different?

If you can, I could see this being fairly useful.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Hans Christian Fürstenheim
Re: Working on a script converting all possible shape layer shapes to masks
on May 31, 2018 at 7:23:44 pm

Hi Michael

Thanks for responding and sorry for the late answer. I have been very busy.
Regarding your question - As far as I can see this is no problem at all. It's just a matter off adjusting the points/vertices as the last step in the process when the overall shapes has been calculated as a mask. It doesn't matter if the scale is proportional or not. It's just one or two factors to multiply the vertices for the final points. And any group shapes with different scales on the same layer can also be calculated. It's just a matter of getting the scaling factors for each group to calculate the mask conversions.

Any other questions comments? :-).

Best Regards

Hans Chr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]