FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preview Resolution Set to Full but is Pixelated Until Play

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Hyler
Preview Resolution Set to Full but is Pixelated Until Play
on May 26, 2018 at 8:29:19 pm

Randomly, but frequently, when I'm working in projects of any size or complexity the preview resolution will suddenly drop to a very pixelated level. It doesn't seem correlated to any particular thing I'm doing in AE, unfortunately.

If I set the preview resolution to Full, it will look something like 1/8th resolution, and at Quarter resolution it's more like 1/64th. When I hit the spacebar to play forward, the resolution jumps back to Full (if I have it set to Full) and will play as expected, but when I stop, the resolution dives again. So this is only happening when I'm not scrubbing or ram previewing, just sitting and working on a frame.

I've cleared the Database and Cache, and my (emptied) Disk Cache is set to a USB3 external SSD. The only solution so far is to quit and restart. It seems clear this is a memory problem, but I'm not sure what kind and how to resolve it.

My machine:

iMac Pro
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16368 MB

Ae is version 15.1.1 Build 12, but it's been happening for the past year through several updates.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Preview Resolution Set to Full but is Pixelated Until Play
on May 27, 2018 at 1:09:39 pm
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on May 27, 2018 at 1:10:22 pm

Do you have the "Fast preview" button (at the bottom of the comp window) activated? When activated, it uses (by default) adaptive resolution to speed up the display when working.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Will Hyler
Re: Preview Resolution Set to Full but is Pixelated Until Play
on May 28, 2018 at 8:15:33 pm

Hey Kalleheikki,

Yep.... I... I am not a smart man. Fast Preview was on.

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]