FORUMS: list search recent posts

Incorrect video ratio when importing into After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Dartnell
Incorrect video ratio when importing into After Effects
on May 26, 2018 at 5:23:11 am

Hi All,

I have recorded some screen capture video on an Android phone.

The screen capture app records in VFR, but I have managed to fix this by converting the VFR to CFR (30 frames/s).

However I still have a serious issue when importing the CFR video into After Effects. The picture below illustrates the issue that I am experiencing...

White = video footage 720 x 1080 (see 12418_mediainfo.html.zip for technical details)

Blue = Composition Settings (720 x 1080, 30 FPS, full resolution)

My question is why does the screen capture footage get squashed when I import it into After Effects?

Any help here would be tremendous!

Cheers

Davo

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Incorrect video ratio when importing into After Effects
on May 26, 2018 at 1:51:15 pm

I'll bet the phone shot in a non-square pixel aspect ratio. Considering it's phone video, I'm not surprised.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Incorrect video ratio when importing into After Effects
on May 27, 2018 at 12:05:15 am

You can interpret the footage in your project list. If the non square pixel ratios in the list match one of yours you are away to the races. You can also make a composition with non square pixels and put the footage in that. But, the reason for doing this is usually because you are going to be broadcasting the resulting movie on a non square pixel screen. And I doubt that's your goal.

If you simply want square pixels, pre comp the footage and scale the precomp until it matches the size you expected it to be (or until it looks right - I find many digital cameras have a left right stretch which is highly unflattering - and no its not just my hips). Its not a big a sin as you might think. Many of cheaper HD camera shoot 1080 high but only shoot around 1440 wide and then stretch the image out to 1920.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]