FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Sketch audio and Cache Before Playback still broken? Any fix?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Taylor
Motion Sketch audio and Cache Before Playback still broken? Any fix?
on May 25, 2018 at 5:18:29 am

Hi guys,

I've been holding off on using the latest After Effects for personal projects for a while now because I've found more bugs than new features. But I decided to update. I may have made a mistake.

1) I realized today that Motion Sketch has no audio when I record. Sounds like this has been a problem since 2015. Is it still not fixed? This is a serious problem for me. It's an extremely useful feature.

2) Also Cache Before Playback still seems not to work, unless I'm missing something. The checkbox does nothing no matter what settings I change (yes I'm aware of the settings for the different shortcuts). Drives me crazy to be forced to watch my animations in bad timing until the second pass. I don't mind the wait. I mind seeing them all wrong first. It throws off my objectivity. It's more of an annoyance than a total dealbreaker, but it IS very annoying.

Is there something I've missed or is there just no way to fix these in the latest version? I'm hoping there's a setting somewhere that I'm missing.

I guess I can go back to 2014 again? I like the new features, though. :(

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Motion Sketch audio and Cache Before Playback still broken? Any fix?
on May 25, 2018 at 10:15:54 am

I'm sorry that I can't help with Motion Sketch, but I can say that the behavior you describe with Cache Before Playback is expected.

Without Cache Before Playback enabled, Ae preview just tries to play the comp, rendering on the fly. Playback is rarely real-time (except for footage and simple comps), and the frame rate can vary wildly during playback. Without Cache Before Playback, I find it pretty confusing to know when I'm seeing real time and when I'm not -- I have to keep looking back and forth at the info panel.

Cache Before Playback works similarly to how the old RAM preview did in 2014: it renders, displays, and caches each frame in the preview range before even attempting real-time playback. Once this is done, playback should be solid and real-time.

Personally, I use that first non-realtime pass as an opportunity to evaluate detail. If I spot something that's a bit off, I'll interrupt the preview, fix it, and start the preview again. With complex comps, this can actually save some time (versus waiting for the entire preview to render).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
Re: Motion Sketch audio and Cache Before Playback still broken? Any fix?
on May 25, 2018 at 7:11:37 pm

Unfortunately audio playback while using motion sketch (and also puppet) recording is broken since CC2015. You could try to voice your vote using Adobe wishform. I tried asking a year ago.

As for caching before playback - it does work but it also plays back the footage as it caches the frames. This way you are making sure the 2nd pass will be real time. Like Walter, I use the first pass to evaluate errors frame by frame, then the 2nd pass gives me the real time playback.

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]