FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reduce Project and maintain expressions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Connors
Reduce Project and maintain expressions
on May 24, 2018 at 7:45:22 pm

Hi Guys. I have a big ol' messy project that I'm trying to clean up. I made a MASTER COMP and dumped all the other comps that I need to keep inside there. I then select that MASTER COMP and run the Reduce Project function. Once complete I get a number of broken expression errors. Does anyone know of a best way to do a Reduce Project and maintain all expressions? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Reduce Project and maintain expressions
on May 25, 2018 at 10:24:05 am

Reduce Project understands footage dependencies, but not expression dependencies. If you Reduce Project and get expression errors, that means that Ae has removed something that is not used as a layer anywhere, but IS referenced by an expression.

Check out the error, noting which missing comp or item it's referring to. Undo the Reduce Project. Locate the missing comp/item. Either put it into your main comp (disabling its visibility/eyeball and audio) to create a dependency that Reduce Project can understand, or multi-select it with the other items you want to include in your reduction and run Reduce Project again. Repeat until you can reduce without expression errors.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Paul Connors
on May 25, 2018 at 12:18:49 pm

Hi Walter. Thanks very much for your response. Like always it was a major help. The errors looked much worse than it actually was. In the end it being only one comp that was being referenced by expressions only that was causing the issues. I made a note of it, added it to the MASTER comp for reducing and voila...no more expression errors and a seriously clean project file. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 25, 2018 at 1:34:02 pm

[Paul Connors] "... a seriously clean project file."

That's the best kind!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>