FORUMS: list search recent posts

A place to get feedback rather than technical issues?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Davies
A place to get feedback rather than technical issues?
on May 22, 2018 at 2:31:41 pm
Last Edited By Steve Davies on May 22, 2018 at 3:25:42 pm

Apologies if this is not the place to upload this query.

In my role, I have been asked to work on 10 clips. I am fairly new to 'MoGraph' and have just got on with them but I really need to share them with some people for advice and feedback. Is this the best place to share? Problem is they also need to go live end of the week.

This is the only peer group I am part of.

Hope you can help

Steve

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: A place to get feedback rather than technical issues?
on May 22, 2018 at 3:28:48 pm

Yes. While most posters come here with technical questions, there's a pretty creative group here that'd I'm sure would be happy to offer feedback and advice.

When you post work for feedback, it's very important to give a little context so we can evaluate how effectively your work meets the brief. That way, we can stay focused on "Is this work effective?" rather than "Do I personally like this work?"

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Davies
on May 23, 2018 at 3:17:51 pm

Thanks for your encouragement.

Here is the shared drive, hope you can view it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WREmOz1MCgrwmkpssHNXEKguMPbgmFsZ?us...

The clip is to quickly illustrate / inform some wild sea rules. The client really likes them so it's more the finish that needs looking at.

I need to...
look at colour consistency
speed up / slow down certain areas.

If you can direct me on any techniques that would be great. My skill level is entry, very little expressions used, and have used DUIL Bones for a couple of rigs (dolphin)

Thanks so much

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 24, 2018 at 9:59:44 am

[Steve Davies] "I need to...
look at colour consistency
speed up / slow down certain areas.

If you can direct me on any techniques that would be great. My skill level is entry, very little expressions used, and have used DUIL Bones for a couple of rigs (dolphin)"

Steve, these look quite lovely for an "entry" skill level!

For color consistency, Animation-1-Seals-v1b seems to stick out. It's the only one that features predominantly green water. If the environment here is intentionally different than the others, it might not be different enough and needs some additional visual cues to set it apart.

For speed on certain areas, you can either time-remap entire comps at a time, or just roll up your sleeves and push keyframes around. I did think the football pitch animations seemed almost hyperactive compared to the character animation.

Overall, the pacing on the text leaves time for a comfortable read -- but typography is the main area I'd suggest you focus on polishing.

You have some uneven ragging throughout (meaning the line widths are considerably uneven, so the outside margin on your text shoots in and out). I think there are a number of widows, as well -- one- or two-word closing lines of a paragraph. Manually tweaking the paragraph box width, or manually breaking your lines of type with Shift+Enter, can help clean these up.

Check your punctuation. Some text could benefit from appropriate comma use, and other text is missing punctuation entirely. Try to break lines according to major ideas or phrasing where possible. Consider splitting some elements into two separate paragraphs -- still on-screen at the same time -- if they are two separate thoughts.

It looks like your project is coming along nicely. Good luck delivering, and I hope this helps a little!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Davies
on May 24, 2018 at 12:51:00 pm

Walter, thanks so much for your time.

Steve

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on May 23, 2018 at 2:43:14 am

[Steve Davies] "In my role, I have been asked to work on 10 clips. I am fairly new to 'MoGraph' and have just got on with them but I really need to share them with some people for advice and feedback. Is this the best place to share? Problem is they also need to go live end of the week.

This is the only peer group I am part of."

Don't know if we should feel honored or pity. "In your role" sounds as if you drew the short straw Steve.

As has been mentioned, go ahead & post links but to be honest I don't know how much time that gives you if you're hoping to make changes with your time constraint. As time is tight & you're just looking for opinions, I'd throw the clips onto a tablet or laptop & go find a nearby bar that's the demographic your aiming for & start showing them there. Quicker feed back & probably as valid as most from here. Save the bar tab receipt for the rest of your group to reimburse you for "market research".

Return to posts index

Steve Davies
on May 24, 2018 at 6:56:50 am

Thanks Mark, just incase here is the link! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WREmOz1MCgrwmkpssHNXEKguMPbgmFsZ?us.....

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]