FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clone stamp (paint) - "On Transparent"-option

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Stillerska
Clone stamp (paint) - "On Transparent"-option
on May 20, 2018 at 4:33:27 pm

What does the "On Transparent"-option do when it comes to the clone stamp tool and in which scenarios should I use it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Clone stamp (paint) - "On Transparent"-option
on May 21, 2018 at 12:39:29 am

Just don't use it. It's one of those things that really shouldn't be there. Clone Stamp is meant to be used on video, not transparent. I don't know why it's there. But it is.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on May 21, 2018 at 4:44:02 am
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on May 21, 2018 at 4:47:15 am

typical DLR response.

Dave, honestly, if you don't know then you don't have to answer.

Fillip, "on transparent" means you will only have the clone but not the video itself for cases where you want to separate the clone from the actual footage. for example for color correcting the clone for lighting changes. many other cases as well since compositing is all about separating elements to match together, having separate control is usually helpful.

there is an obvious gotcha with a clone tool on a footage that set on transparent because if you are cloning a transparent background then.. everything Iis transparent! clearly this "on transparent" feature in this clone tool could be better implemented. to overcome this black hole scenario, simply duplicate your layer. set the top one to "on transparent" (the original one can be without the clone). now the top layer is clone on transparent but is referencing the bottom layer.

another case where this proves useful is when you need to clone a shot with a moving camera. so you need a moving clone... there are ways to link the cloner to the tracker but I prefer to do this in what I believe is a simpler way: you stabilize the shot first, then apply the clone, the reintroduce the motion. if you have a clone burned in the shot, this will prove to be a problem since you need a moving matted pixels, not the whole shot.

here a threads pointing to "on transparent" clone uses:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1115663#1115691

here's a project showing the reverse stabilization technique with clone stamp on transparent. notice the wire being removed:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5wyUt17-tu2bi01ZlpTUHF3dlU

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
on May 21, 2018 at 1:31:23 pm

Ok, thank you for your explanation - I think I understand now!
However, I don't understand why turning on the "On Transparent"-option makes the layer (including the clone stamp!) completely transparent? Why do I have to copy the effect to a separate layer to make the "On Transparent"-feature work?

Also, don't these two workflows below end up with the same result?:
(1) Clone stamp on footage layer → Duplicate the layer → Turn on the "On Transparent"-option on the duplicated layer → Delete the effect from the original footage layer
(2) Clone stamp on footage layer → Create a new adjustment layer and paste the effect → Delete the effect from the original footage layer

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on May 21, 2018 at 2:22:24 pm

[Filip Stillerska] "However, I don't understand why turning on the "On Transparent"-option makes the layer (including the clone stamp!) completely transparent? "

yeah it's confusing right? when you set the toggle switch for "on transparent" you are knocking out the background. now what if you clone a transparent background what do you get? so the workaround is duplicating the layer. now you got one layer that's got the clone on transparent but it's referencing a different layer (which is not transparent)

[Filip Stillerska] "Also, don't these two workflows below end up with the same result?:
(1) Clone stamp on footage layer → Duplicate the layer → Turn on the "On Transparent"-option on the duplicated layer → Delete the effect from the original footage layer
(2) Clone stamp on footage layer → Create a new adjustment layer and paste the effect → Delete the effect from the original footage layer"

good observation. actually even a solid layer with the effect will be the same as duplicating the footage. so if you want, instead of duplicating the footage, just create a solid or adjustment layer and copy paste the effect.

Roei Tzoref
2D/VFX Generalist & Instructor
♫ AeBlues Tutorials ♫
http://www.tzoref.com

Return to posts index

Filip Stillerska
on May 21, 2018 at 6:37:42 pm

Thank you, I understand this feature now! :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved