FORUMS: list search recent posts

Technique for animating a wake with a swimming dolphin

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Davies
Technique for animating a wake with a swimming dolphin
on May 18, 2018 at 9:02:17 am

I am animating a dolphin coming in and out of the water. The dolphin moves from one point to the next, with a wiggle, but I also need to animate the wake of the fin and tail. How am I best doing this? On a previous animation, I just animated the path of the shape and parent it to the moving animal, but on this occasion, the movement of the dolphin is quite erratic, parenting it to the dolphin doesn't seem to work to well as the position jumps quite quick.

What might be my best method to animate this?

Hope you can help

Steve

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Technique for animating a wake with a swimming dolphin
on May 18, 2018 at 3:55:48 pm

Even the though the dolphin will porpoise up and down (I couldn't resist), the wake shouldn't. So you could link the x motion of the wake to the dolphin and then the wake will follow but not rise and fall. Then you could put a slight animation on the y motion of the wake so it's not exactly linear.
You can break apart the x and y position attribute in the curve graph editor (the button is at the bottom of the graph). Or you could use an expression.
On the position attribute enter: [use Pickwhip here to link the x of the dolphin, some Y value];
The notation for separate x and y in expression is [x,y];
You could link the Y to a keyframed slider effect or use keyframes on the position. Expressions can pick up keyframes from the source layer with the Value method [this.Comp.layer("Dolphin").transform.position[0],value[1]];
value[1] means Y, value[0] means X. Only using the y value will ignore the keyframed x value and use the dolphin x position for the x of the wake.

Return to posts index

Steve Davies
Re: Technique for animating a wake with a swimming dolphin
on May 21, 2018 at 7:12:10 am

Thanks Steve

I have had a go but no success but I will keep trying - most likely something simple I am not doing in the process. But in theory it sounds like it will work!

Thanks for your help...

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]