FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't use green or blue screen, then what?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Helander
Can't use green or blue screen, then what?
on May 16, 2018 at 2:35:23 pm

As the title says, I'm using both green and blue in my shot. What color should I use? I was thinking about pink but was concerned about the skin color of my characters in my stop motion film. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can't use green or blue screen, then what?
on May 16, 2018 at 2:57:48 pm

At the moment, you're pretty much hosed. Personally, I'd change the blue to red, and change the red back to blue later.

But here's what I'm REALLY interested in finding out -- please describe in detail your chroma key setup. Size of screen, subjects' distance from it, number of lights & their placement, type of camera being used....

....all of these things are crucial to chroma key success.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 16, 2018 at 3:42:56 pm

You haven't mentioned the reason for no green or blue.
Red is actually the best color to use but as soon as you get humans in there, not so much. (Vulcans or Andorians or Orions -Orionians? are good to go though).
There are lots of ways to get around the no green or blue problem. Give us some more info.
If all the characters are stop motion there's no reason that you can't use a false color for their "skin" that would key on red and then color correct it back to flesh in post.
Screen colors: pink, cyan and yellow can work but aren't ideal because those colors of light are made of pairs out of the red, green, blue triumvirate. So its not really one unique color you are dealing with anymore.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on May 16, 2018 at 5:39:17 pm

[Philip Helander] "What color should I use?"

Gray.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on May 16, 2018 at 6:14:05 pm

Depending on the lighting scenario and what will be replaced in the background, black or white can be viable candidates as well.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on May 17, 2018 at 4:32:54 am

At first it sounds like a task for Mocha (or RotoBrush if you're brave), but as others have indicated perhaps more details of the shot are in order. The ONLY reason for having a bg of a particular color is to facilitate creating a clean mask or alpha channel. If your foreground subject is a mime wearing striped B&W clothes, in clown white make-up & wearing a red tam, you could use an amethyst bg. for that matter. The point being, really examine what is specifically needed to accomplish the task.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]