FORUMS: list search recent posts

Assigning a layer/precomp as a shape layer fill

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Chellaram
Assigning a layer/precomp as a shape layer fill
on May 4, 2018 at 1:53:07 pm

Hi. Is it possible to assign a shape layer a texture map / layer at the bottom level of a layer (meaning that it will work in 3D - if I rotate the shape layer, the texture will go with it). Adding an effect (for example "set channels" wont work in 3d). Precomping

Another way of putting it would be instead of the four options that are available for the fill of a shape layer (None, Solid Colour, Linear Gradient and Radial Gradient), there would be a fifth option where I can assign a layer or a precomp as my texture.

What I am trying to do is to create 3d blinds (about 10 rows of them) while avoiding using masks.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Assigning a layer/precomp as a shape layer fill
on May 4, 2018 at 2:17:05 pm

Sorry, can't be done. You'd have to duplicate the shape layer and use one as a track matte for the texture map layer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 4, 2018 at 5:30:52 pm

So if you are rotating a masked shape layer, why not just rotate the image you want to show up as your blind texture. Wont you still have to use a mask on the shape layer to get a single blind leaf? Isn't that the same as putting a mask on multiples of the texture layer?

There is a 2D Venetian blind effect under transitions. If you did that on ten texture planes and then made the planes 3d and positioned them in space is that a good enough hack?

Return to posts index

Benjamin Chellaram
on May 7, 2018 at 10:26:15 am
Last Edited By Benjamin Chellaram on May 7, 2018 at 10:41:44 am

Okey sounds fair, I think I already knew that it would not work. I've found a workaround that does the job, but its not perfect. I am stuck with the problem that occur when two masks are in the same position (you get a line/edge). Have a look: https://imgur.com/a/wnu5YgK

I've simply used the c4d renderer in AE and extruded the shape layers which are behind the "test comp". The test comp is on top, pickwhipped to the 3d shape layers behind and rotated from there. This workaround is a hassle, I will need a masked comp on top, shape layer in the middle and eventuall a masked comp layer behind. It works, but the only thing that is bothering me is the lines that appear. The screenshot above is from in the middle of the animation, the bottom "blinds" have not yet startet its animation so you can see what it looks like.

I do like the 3D extruded effect and I intent to keep that look, but I will say that the lines do dissapear if I go back to the Classic renderer.

Any tips?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 7, 2018 at 5:32:21 pm

That may be an actual 3D edge you are seeing that doesn't have as much light on it as others. Try turning off the lighting in the material settings of each layer. The look will be a little flatter but this way any lights you have won't affect the layers and won't "gleam" off the edges and you won't have darkness in crevasses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]