FORUMS: list search recent posts

Collapse Transformations / Continuous Rasterise removes gradient ramp effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Davies
Collapse Transformations / Continuous Rasterise removes gradient ramp effect.
on May 3, 2018 at 2:28:22 pm
Last Edited By Steve Davies on May 3, 2018 at 2:34:46 pm

Hope you can help!

I need to have the continuous rasterise on, so my pre comp stays sharp, but my gradient ramp disappears.

I am struggling to find the reason why. Do you know where I can get an explanation to understand this better?

All in all, what is the best way to animate the seal as it swims left or right, and goes under the water. I need to have it's 'shadow' as it travels. At the moment I parent it to the seal head and then modify the path with key frames but I feel as though there is a better way to do this.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Collapse Transformations / Continuous Rasterise removes gradient ramp effect.
on May 3, 2018 at 7:20:24 pm

Without seeing your precomp it could be a blend/transfer issue. Some of the blend functions don't work right when there is no background layer and the continuously rasterize can make it worse.

If the precomposed layer is 3D or the precomp layer is 3D in the outer comp the CR button can have an affect on that was well.

As for the shadow there are number of scripts on aescripts.com that let you do reflections or shadows or you could use videocopilots free VC reflect plug in, or simply flip a duplicate of the precomp or use the transform effect. That way you only have to animate the seal and the "shadow" will follow along.

Return to posts index

Steve Davies
Re: Collapse Transformations / Continuous Rasterise removes gradient ramp effect.
on May 4, 2018 at 9:29:26 am

Steve, many thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. That plugin is very useful! Very nearly what I am after.

I am going to go back to another idea which will make it much simpler.

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

Gary Reisman
on May 3, 2018 at 10:33:52 pm

Continuous Rasterize can definitely make things go wonky sometimes and should be avoided at the design stage whenever possible.
If you can somehow pre-render the gradient that would probably help.
or rather than use a gradient, use a mask to fade into the background color (or a track matte to fade it)

Return to posts index

Steve Davies
on May 4, 2018 at 9:30:01 am

Thanks Gary

Yes, very much a design issue so going back to re-address it.

Steve

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 4, 2018 at 10:01:13 am

You've gotten some advice on solutions; I'll try to explain why you're seeing what you're seeing.

The "Continuously Rasterize" switch is overloaded. Although it often works as the "keep it sharp" button, this switch with the sun icon has two very different functions, depending on layer type.

For vector layers, this switch tells Ae, "Transform this layer first, then redraw the vector at its new size, position and rotation after the transformation." This gives you sharp lines, no matter how big you scale your layer. It also changes the render order, rendering effects after transformations instead of before. Without Continuously Rasterize checked, the layer is drawn ("rasterized") only once at its original 100% size, then effects are rendered, then that raster image is transformed.

For composition layers, the switch is actually called "Collapse Transformations." This tells Ae, "Treat the layers inside this precomp as if they were a bunch of layers that were directly in the containing comp." While this sometimes has the same effect as Continuous Rasterization (like when you have vector layers inside a precomp with no effects on the precomp layer), it works very differently.

Because Collapse Transformations essentially pulls the layers from the precomp into the main comp for rendering, it lets you do cool things like use blend modes, combine 3D spaces, and, like its name suggests, concatenate transformations. This means that the two separate transform operations (position, scale, rotation) from inside the comp and outside the comp are combined into a single operation. In other words, a 25% scale on a layer inside the precomp, and a 400% scale on the precomp layer inside the main comp will cancel each other out and equal 100% scale, instead of creating a blurry pixelated mess.

The downside is that effects applied to the precomp layer will no longer work quite the same. Remember, we're now treating the contents of the precomp as if they were a set of individual layers inside the containing comp; we are no longer rendering the precomp in memory and treating it as a single image in the containing comp before applying effects. Ae will apply any effects on the precomp layer to each and every layer within the precomp after transformations have been collapsed, and it will apply them in their own native layer spaces. This can yield really different results than applying the same effects to the one composite of all those layers.

This is a confusing topic (and a confusing UX in Ae). If you have any questions, please ask away and I'll do my best to clarify.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Davies
on May 4, 2018 at 10:05:43 am

Walter, thanks for the explanation. I need to get my head around this!

Steve

Digital Designer
stevedavies.io

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 4, 2018 at 10:55:58 am

You're welcome. If something is still unclear for you, please let me know.

This question is very common, and with good reason. This is one button that does two different things under the hood in the Ae renderer, which sometimes look the same and sometimes look very different.

I would love to be able to expand on this post for all the others who run into the same problem you have, so if you have any feedback I can use to clarify it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on May 4, 2018 at 1:48:55 pm

Thanks for laying it out so clearly Walter. I understand the difference but can never clearly explain it. I'm curious why they aren't two separate buttons?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 4, 2018 at 2:52:39 pm

[Daniel Waldron] "I'm curious why they aren't two separate buttons?"

I bet it seemed like a great idea 20 years ago when screens were a lot smaller.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on May 4, 2018 at 5:33:40 pm

You mean before icons became two pixels across on our super hi rez screens?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]